• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in South Africa 2023/24

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Australia tour of South Africa, 2023

Aug 30, Wed
South Africa vs Australia
1st T20I at Kingsmead, Durban
21:30 IST / 16:00 GMT

Sep 01, Fri
2nd T20I at Kingsmead, Durban

Sep 03, Sun
3rd T20I at Kingsmead, Durban
17:30 IST / 12:00 GMT

Sep 07, Thu
1st ODI at Mangaung Oval, Bloemfontein
16:30 IST / 11:00 GMT

Sep 09, Sat
2nd ODI at Mangaung Oval, Bloemfontein

Sep 12, Tue
3rd ODI at Senwes Park, Potchefstroom

Sep 15, Fri
4th ODI at SuperSport Park, Centurion

Sep 17, Sun
5th ODI at The Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
13:30 IST / 08:00 GMT

Aus T20I team

Australia T20 squad vs South Africa: Mitchell Marsh (capt), Sean Abbott, Jason Behrendorff, Tim David, Nathan Ellis, Aaron Hardie, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Spencer Johnson, Glenn Maxwell, Matt Short, Steven Smith, Marcus Stoinis, Adam Zampa

✍Hardie, who plays for Perth Scorchers, was the tournament's leading run-scorer with 460 at a strike-rate of 141.10

✍Short was only narrowly behind him with 458 striking at 144.47

Australian ODI squad: Pat Cummins (capt), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Nathan Ellis, Cameron Green, Aaron Hardie, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Tanveer Sangha, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa

Last edited:

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
The ODI squad covers the SA 5 match series and the India 3 match series and its been stated Maxwell and Cummins will miss the SA ODI's. Maxwell due to baby birth, while Cummins wrist injury is to take 6 weeks recovery.

Bailey also said Smith will be rested from a few ODI's because of playing T20, so guess that rules him out to captain in SA

Playing 3 T20 and 8 ODI's just before the WC seems way over the top preparation (wasn't too many games before last T20 WC raised as causing fatigued and flat team?)

G. S. Kohli

SA :T20I Squad: Aiden Markram (c), Temba Bavuma, Matthew Breetzke, Dewald Brevis, Gerald Coetzee, Donovan Ferreira, Bjorn Fortuin, Reeza Hendricks, Marco Jansen, Sisanda Magala , Keshav Maharaj, Lungi Ngidi, Tabraiz Shamsi, Tristan Stubbs , Lizaad Williams and Rassie van der Dussen.

SA: ODI Squad:Temba Bavuma (c), Dewald Brevis, Gerald Coetzee , Quinton de Kock , Bjorn Fortuin , Reeza Hendricks, Marco Jansen , Heinrich Klaasen, Sisanda Magala, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, David Miller , Lungi Ngidi , Anrich Nortje , Tabraiz Shamsi , Wayne Parnell, Kagiso Rabada , Tristan Stubbs and Rassie van der Dussen .

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The ODI squad covers the SA 5 match series and the India 3 match series and its been stated Maxwell and Cummins will miss the SA ODI's. Maxwell due to baby birth, while Cummins wrist injury is to take 6 weeks recovery.

Bailey also said Smith will be rested from a few ODI's because of playing T20, so guess that rules him out to captain in SA

Playing 3 T20 and 8 ODI's just before the WC seems way over the top preparation (wasn't too many games before last T20 WC raised as causing fatigued and flat team?)
I don't see the point of playing 5 ODI's in SA before a wc in india, honestly. Would have prefered we try to make the india series 5 matches (unsure how that would fit in with asia cup, tbf).

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Dewald Brevis , it no uncertain terms was it stated that he wont get an WC opportunity no matter results and he will be playing out of position if he gets a go in the series . As this is just to ease him into the senior squad , how do you do something like that just before a WC in a series that should be used as prep , am I mistaken or is this just re-direction from the coaching staff and Brevis and others included in this series has an opportunity to get into the WC squad ? The fact that its stated he wont open or play in preferred position feels political . Does this just add to the fact that this series feels more and more irrelevant ?

The way SA is handling some young players and fan pressure is idiotic if it is what it looks like on face value .

Stefan9

International Debutant
The WC squad is announced before the ODI series starts. Brevis likely either goes as the middle order sub or one of the reserves. Competing with Stubbs looking at the squads.
Don't see how him shifting down the order is political. He bats nr.4 in 50 over cricket, only.opens in T20. He is currently competing with markram, Miller and Klaasen as the 3 starters in 4,5 and 6. For him to get into the starting 11 the selectors would need to believe between him and markram they can handle 10 overs.

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Domestic cricket he opens in OD almost exclusively , in T20 he seems to float. However as far as I recall he prefers to open. He can Bat anywhere it seems however opener is preference. However rest of post is solid, thank you for the feedback and opinion. And agree he should be in squad however was more or less stated he isn't going to be.Also I believe squad announcements has been delayed.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why does thread titles say 2023/24. ODI series finishes 17 Sept 23?
I think record-keepers will still count it as part of the 2023-24 season in RSA. I was thinking about this as I did it though. England are playing some games at roughly the same time will just count as part of the 2023 season.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Domestic cricket he opens in OD almost exclusively , in T20 he seems to float. However as far as I recall he prefers to open. He can Bat anywhere it seems however opener is preference. However rest of post is solid, thank you for the feedback and opinion. And agree he should be in squad however was more or less stated he isn't going to be.Also I believe squad announcements has been delayed.
The only domestic 50 over competition he has played at pro level was last season for the titans. He batted 4&5. Opened in the T20 competition.
Also didn't open for the under 19 side but was not 3.

G. S. Kohli

Australia tour of South Africa, 2023

Aug 30, Wed
1st T20I at Kingsmead, Durban

Sep 01, Fri
2nd T20I at Kingsmead, Durban

Sep 03, Sun
3rd T20I at Kingsmead, Durban
17:30 IST / 12:00 GMT

Sep 07, Thu
1st ODI at Mangaung Oval, Bloemfontein

Sep 09, Sat
2nd ODI at Mangaung Oval, Bloemfontein

Sep 12, Tue
3rd ODI at Senwes Park, Potchefstroom

Sep 15, Fri
4th ODI at SuperSport Park, Centurion

Sep 17, Sun
5th ODI at The Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
13:30 IST / 08:00 GMT

Aus T20I team

Australia T20 squad vs South Africa: Mitchell Marsh (capt), Sean Abbott, Jason Behrendorff, Tim David, Nathan Ellis, Aaron Hardie, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Spencer Johnson, Glenn Maxwell, Matt Short, Steven Smith, Marcus Stoinis, Adam Zampa

✍Hardie, who plays for Perth Scorchers, was the tournament's leading run-scorer with 460 at a strike-rate of 141.10

✍Short was only narrowly behind him with 458 striking at 144.47

Australian ODI squad: Pat Cummins (capt), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Nathan Ellis, Cameron Green, Aaron Hardie, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Tanveer Sangha, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa
Smith Ruled out with wrist Fracture Labuschagne included in ODI team of Aus while Ashton turner included in t20i team

RF Aus team to SA

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Missed out a bit. Starc out of SA series and Mitch Marsh named captain for ODI's

So that's Maxwell, Cummins, Starc and Smith now out of the ODI's