• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I like the look of Doolan and I see what you're saying though Benchy, in that sometimes you can tell a player has it despite not absolutely dominating FC cricket and having ridic stats. But FMD Doolan needs to learn to ton up. Needs more. I'm sure it'll come though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also who was it on here that said Shaun Marsh is the Yuvraj of the Australian test selection process? Not a bad call.

adub

International Captain
Yep. Should be Hughes and Doolers, but it should be Hughes going into the XI and Doolers needs to learn to convert or he's just another Smarsh.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope, Doolan knows how to convert, my only problem is that he hasn't shown an ability to turn hundreds into massive hundreds. Whether he has that inner hunger is the question, but Michael Clarke didn't have that when he was starting his international career and he learned it and is now the hungriest batsman going around.

benchmark00

Could also live with North getting a recall. But Marsh is just a pisstake
If we're talking about players getting worked over and you advocating a North recall then that's just lol.

At some point we have to stop picking 50 year olds and start trusting some players who will be there for 5 years.

howardj

International Coach
Lehmann is a big Marsh fan apparently, having coached him in the IPL

Boof it seems is all powerful in Australian cricket at the moment

WHich is no bad thing

particularly if it means Howard and Grandpa have been moved sideways

Last edited:

Spikey

one day while batting his glasses broke but he batted on and scored a century and never wore glasses again

adub

International Captain
If we're talking about players getting worked over and you advocating a North recall then that's just lol.

At some point we have to stop picking 50 year olds and start trusting some players who will be there for 5 years.
I agree we need more young guys. But the young guys need to be doing more than averaging mid 30s in the shield to earn a chance (and why I've always said TPC was one of the younger guys we needed to put more faith in as opposed to the Fergusons and Marshes).

Of course I wouldn't have plumped for North last year or the year before but this year he's done what no young player other than Hughes has done - get up to the top 3 in the order and peel off tons. If Marsh's 127 hiding down at 5 and coming in at 3/302 is worthy or rememberance then North's 145 opening in that innings is the gold standard. I would be far happier if it had been Doolers, or Uzi, or **** it even Marsh that had stepped up and averaged 99 in the Shield, but it was North. For all his issues in tests North still scored a ton every 4 matches and has an overall fc record all of the contenders bar Hughes would dream of. He'd be a short term option for sure. But probably not as short term an option as Bailey was, Marsh would be, and Doolers may be if he can't find a way convert his undoubted talent into more consistent run making.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
:laugh: Still laughing, can't handle it, so so good. The red string around the glasses the best bit.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'd go with:

Rogers
Warner
Watson
Doolan
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Hughes
North
Faulkner
Pattinson
Bird

Say what you want about North and Hughes from a technical standpoint, but they're making runs. Marsh or Ferguson may have prettier techniques and look like they could handle Tests, but they haven't put the big runs on the board. IMO if you make valuable hundreds in the Shield, you should get selected. Not if you're getting to 35 every innings and finding yet another soft way to get out.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
I think the rationale for leaving Hughes out is that he's best as an opener.

The new ball suits his game, and it's where he's had his most success at Test cricket and where he bats for SA

Him baking in the Shield oven for the next two years until Rogers goes, may be no bad thing

Plus, his next go is likely to be his last, so the selectors want to be sure that he's Test-ready again