• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at Adelaide

eleven

Cricket Spectator
So far pretty similar to the last time England chose to field first in an Adelaide test. Will Australia enforce the follow on?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Root to make 100+. Broad to cop nothing but bouncers but drive aussies mad with a quick 80 odd as a result. Anderson to get his due rewards in inevitable aussies collapse. English to savour victory. Yes...This all happens in one of the many parallel universes out there.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I know a lot of cricket types seem to adhere to this view, but I totally disagree with Bayliss’ view that sledging exchanges should be censored from cricket watchers.

Firstly, because keeping the mikes on are probably as good a way as any to keep a lid on sledging and abuse that is considered particularly excessive. For example, Michael Clarke only got fined because his ‘broken f***ing arm’ comment was picked up by stump mikes.

Secondly, and more importantly, I think it’s pretty arrogant for cricket players/admin to say fans should have reduced access to what’s going on the field. Like it or not, such verbals and battles are part of the drama of cricket and can create some memorable events (see Clarke’s comment above). I would in fact go the opposite way and have the stump mikes on as much as possible for maximum insight into what’s going on at the ground.

As an aside, the English players and coaches are seriously sidetracked in their public comments constantly by sledging and verbal battles over the past week or so.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I know a lot of cricket types seem to adhere to this view, but I totally disagree with Bayliss’ view that sledging exchanges should be censored from cricket watchers.

Firstly, because keeping the mikes on are probably as good a way as any to keep a lid on sledging and abuse that is considered particularly excessive. For example, Michael Clarke only got fined because his ‘broken f***ing arm’ comment was picked up by stump mikes.

Secondly, and more importantly, I think it’s pretty arrogant for cricket players/admin to say fans should have reduced access to what’s going on the field. Like it or not, such verbals and battles are part of the drama of cricket and can create some memorable events (see Clarke’s comment above). I would in fact go the opposite way and have the stump mikes on as much as possible for maximum insight into what’s going on at the ground.

As an aside, the English players and coaches are seriously sidetracked in their public comments constantly by sledging and verbal battles over the past week or so.
What we could have is all players miked up and next to the scoreboard we could have another tally of likes and dislikes updated live as the public votes. We could even do away with commentators and just ask the players to commentators their own play.

Commentary is best when less is said and the atmosphere is best when all the public hear from the field is the sound of the ball on willow.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The jousting has been rather childish and pathetic to be honest, and it was similar in the last India-Australia series which marred a thoroughly good series.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

But the problem is, it's well known that kids just do not swear at all. And if they hear Mitch Starc swearing they'll definitely start swearing when they were absolutely destined to never do so.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The jousting has been rather childish and pathetic to be honest, and it was similar in the last India-Australia series which marred a thoroughly good series.
Wouldn’t disagree it’s been rather silly at times, but the public battles and verbals on and off the field help create interest and drama in the game; certainly the slanging match between the two sides between Brisbane and Adelaide helped generate plenty of media headlines and coverage.

Or put it another way, when Anderson was fielding right near Smith at the non-strikers on the first night and the antagonism between the two was pretty silly but it was entertaining and it helps keeps interest when even the best Tests have their slow spots (and this Test series has been a slowish-paced one so far by modern standards).

Gnske

Those are good arguments, but utterly meaningless. Ian Chappell says the batsmen are entitled as a basic right to peace and quiet and absolute due respect when they bat. And who knows more than Ian Chappell really?

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
In baseball we just throw at hitters, and sure it may spark the odd mass brawl, but for the most part I enjoy my at-bats with a serene peace and tranquility.

stephen

It really sucks to be stuck at work. I was so looking forward to seeing Cummins rip through the poms.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Wonder how long it will take commentators to stop calling the first session of day/night games the morning session. Probably 10+ years.