• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2008 Tour de France Thread

Craig

World Traveller
I will tip Bernhard Kohl for the KOM jersey. I don't think Sebastian Lang will last much longer.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Code:
47  (- 1)  Mørk        (468, +23)
68  (-32)  Pickup      (459, + 9)
174 (+62)  Mitchell    (425, +41)
310 (-10)  Bowen       (375, +19)
330 (+15)  Walsh       (361, +33)
347 (-18)  Thomas      (350, +11)
379 (+ 8)  Dwyer       (322, +35)
380 (- 8)  Clapham     (316, +16)
401 (-12)  Gray        (292, + 7)
415 (+-0)  Reddlapalli (270, +25)
427 (- 3)  Young       (253, +27)

A group of riders went off down the road and were uncatchable, Australian Simon Gerrans won the sprint for the line to claim the stage win. Behind the front group was a group containing all the top 10 GC riders, Team CSC had Sastre and the two Schlecks causing problems through the last climb, eventually Kohl went for broke with Menchov following. Schleck finished behind both them and took the Yellow jersey, 7 seconds ahead of Kohl and 8 seconds ahead of Cadel Evans.
Pickup has a mare and we have a new leader. Mitchell picks up a 24th for the stage after moaning for days about wanting the Alps. Young and Manju have solid days at the back of the pack.
Rest day tomorrow.

Johnners

Good thing for Evans that he's given up the yellow imo, bit less pressure and can concentrate on his own race. Awesome win for Gerrans though, and a shocking crash for Oscar.

Craig

World Traveller
Thank you Stijn Devolder :dry:

That decent of the Col Agnel brought back a lot of memories of last year, both climbing and desending wise, yeah it is bloody cold and boy is it fun to go downhill though! Congratulations to Simon Gerrans, thought it was about time he got a stage win and I hope Credit Agricole get a new sponsor now, the team has been around for over 42 years in different forms (guys like Lemond, Broadman for example rode for them) so I would hate to see it end.

Matteh

Code:
48  (- 1)  Mørk        (469, + 1)
73  (- 5)  Pickup      (459, + 0)
175 (- 1)  Mitchell    (428, + 3)
307 (+ 3)  Bowen       (380, + 5)
337 (- 7)  Walsh       (361, + 0)
337 (+10)  Thomas      (361, +11)
374 (+ 5)  Dwyer       (335, +13)
389 (- 9)  Clapham     (321, + 5)
408 (- 7)  Gray        (292, + 0)
424 (+ 3)  Young       (271, +18)
426 (-11)  Reddlapalli (270, + 0)
Today's stage was a hard one to pick, Dessel won it, before the rest of the break of 7 riders crossed the line. Stefan Schumacher had a lead over everyone of 12 minutes before the final climb, but hit the wall and ended up 8th. The GC contenders were in the next group to finish but Kohl and A. Schleck finished in the last two points positions with Evans, F.Schleck and Valverde all annoyingly finishing 11th-13th.
Special mention to Augustyn who decided he'd had enough and cycled off the side of the mountain, ended up in the shale several feet below the road, the bike went on much further never to be seen again.
As for the game, obviously low scoring, but Stephen Young came up with another of his specials to finish 11th on the stage and once again get off the bottom. Greg catches but can't overtake Craig.

Johnners

Tonights stage looks a killer, hoping Evans can hold on enough so that he can take advantage of his superior TT ability on Saturday. Of all the others in contention, who is the best TT rider? Menchov?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Tonights stage looks a killer, hoping Evans can hold on enough so that he can take advantage of his superior TT ability on Saturday. Of all the others in contention, who is the best TT rider? Menchov?
Yeah. TT rank order is Vandevelde (but too far back in overall), Menchov, Kohl, Sastre, Schleck imo.

Mitchell: they're never above 800 metres on Thurs. Yeah, there's one steep climb but it's 30 km from the finish. Fairly sure they'll let a big group go.

Craig

World Traveller
Code:
48  (- 1)  Mørk        (469, + 1)
73  (- 5)  Pickup      (459, + 0)
175 (- 1)  Mitchell    (428, + 3)
307 (+ 3)  Bowen       (380, + 5)
337 (- 7)  Walsh       (361, + 0)
337 (+10)  Thomas      (361, +11)
374 (+ 5)  Dwyer       (335, +13)
389 (- 9)  Clapham     (321, + 5)
408 (- 7)  Gray        (292, + 0)
424 (+ 3)  Young       (271, +18)
426 (-11)  Reddlapalli (270, + 0)
Today's stage was a hard one to pick, Dessel won it, before the rest of the break of 7 riders crossed the line. Stefan Schumacher had a lead over everyone of 12 minutes before the final climb, but hit the wall and ended up 8th. The GC contenders were in the next group to finish but Kohl and A. Schleck finished in the last two points positions with Evans, F.Schleck and Valverde all annoyingly finishing 11th-13th.
Special mention to Augustyn who decided he'd had enough and cycled off the side of the mountain, ended up in the shale several feet below the road, the bike went on much further never to be seen again.
As for the game, obviously low scoring, but Stephen Young came up with another of his specials to finish 11th on the stage and once again get off the bottom. Greg catches but can't overtake Craig.

So unlucky, and very lucky not to be seriously injured.

Cadel. Frank Schleck can't TT to save his life.

Chubb

International Regular
Well, that makes things even more interesting. The gap is big enough to worry Cadel if Sastre pulls out the ride of his life (and he will need to), but small enough to think he can overhaul it. It was fascinating to see the strategy of the Schleck brothers on the Alpe d'Huez, and how Cadel Evans responded. At one point about halfway I thought they might have dropped him, but he pulled it back. Andy Schleck was particularly impressive, though Frank looked too blown to mount an acceleration. Still, a great team ride.

Matteh

Code:
46  (+ 2)  Mørk        (505, +26)
123 (+52)  Mitchell    (480, +52)
137 (-64)  Pickup      (475, +16)
306 (+ 1)  Bowen       (416, +36)
316 (+21)  Walsh       (410, +49)
353 (+21)  Dwyer       (385, +50)
367 (-30)  Thomas      (380, +19)
407 (-17)  Clapham     (336, +15)
420 (-12)  Gray        (313, +21)
421 (+ 5)  Reddlapalli (312, +42)
425 (- 1)  Young       (300, +29)
On what was a GC heavy day, Sastre won the stage by 2 minutes from a group containing everyone else. Sastre takes Yellow by a minute or so, Schleck now out of the running in theory, Evans still favourite because of his time trialling.
Pickup loses ground and drops out of the top 2 for the first time, Young's back at the bottom after Altoz has a good day, but is definitely still within touch.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
(Y) Thought Evans did a decent job of damage limitation when the rest of the field refused to help too.

CSC can't work every day either. Looks like AG2R might be the team to catch the breakaway tomorrow.

Craig

World Traveller
I haven't seen the stage yet so I can't comment.

I'm going go for the likes of Chavenal, Cunego (surprised he hasn't abandoned) and Voigt to be in the break. The TT should be interesting, I mean Schlek (Frank) is probably a better time trialist then Sastre, but will he be looking at trying to beat his own team-mate though? It would be nice to see Sastre win, more so to see a guy actually attack and get reward for it, instead of wheel suckers like Evans.

On a different note, thanks to the selfishness of Piepoli and Ricco, Saunier Duval have pulled their sponsorship of the team, bike supplier Scott remains and they will race under that banner (certainly not the Tour of Germany and most unlikely the Vuelta), I hope they are happy with what they have done :dry: As for Gerolsteiner and Credit Agricole, both don't have new backers for next year, I really don't see how they could do anymore to get new sponsors and it would be terrible if they both have to shut up shop, as they are both teams you can trust in regards of being clean.