• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, 05 - 09 Feb 2021

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah i just don't want bumrah to play again so soon after he suffered from a workload related injury

ashwin floats it up and drifts the ball and is pretty much a world class off spinner at this point who bowls in the 80 kmph range

sundar bowls it at 90-95 kmph all the time and could hurry batsmen

there is enough variety already tbh

and i don't trust anyone to be as good a left arm spinner as jaddu so whichever slow left arm bowler we choose, it will be a massive downgrade
Nah, Kuldeep is still better IMO and Axar has good domestic form behind him, and if we have learnt anything from the Australia tour, it is to value domestic FC performances.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, Kuldeep is still better IMO and Axar has good domestic form behind him, and if we have learnt anything from the Australia tour, it is to value domestic FC performances.
I'm not saying don't value domestic FC performances but I'm not sure the Australian series taught us that lesson. Yes we had Siraj (who's record also included a lot of A team success), but Sundar literally hadn't played an FC game for 3 years lol.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant

Ashwin giving a nice history of Chepauk. Interesting that he tags it as a real bouncy hard wicket at least till 10 years back.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Ashwin giving a nice history of Chepauk. Interesting that he tags it as a real bouncy hard wicket at least till 10 years back.
The earlier wicket before the relaying had the similar red soil like Mumbai at its base, so it was always true bounce there. But seems it has been a conscious decision to go for more spinner friendly tracks. I am no geologist or anything ( @Gnske will know better ) but Mumbai has a natural harbour and so the sea is deeper closer to the city there, unlike Chennai. Dunno if that makes the base different when it comes to the pitches. But the endeavor seems to have been to create flatter tracks for some reason in the last 10 years, lol. Guess they know it will turn and help spinners at some point, so just ensure it happens in the last 2 days instead of the first 3 days.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm not saying don't value domestic FC performances but I'm not sure the Australian series taught us that lesson. Yes we had Siraj (who's record also included a lot of A team success), but Sundar literally hadn't played an FC game for 3 years lol.
Nah, to me Sundar was the outlier. Literally every other person we debuted had FC success and did well on the step up.

Daemon

Nah, to me Sundar was the outlier. Literally every other person we debuted had FC success and did well on the step up.
Gill & Siraj, pretty much? They both had A team success to back up the domestic stuff.

Nattu doesn't have much in the way of FC success. Thakur averaged 35 with the ball in 2019. Saini averaged 43.

Again I do value domestic FC performance but I don't think this series made me value it any more/less.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
We can build off the Gabba Test in terms of #intent and giving opportunities to people on the fringe, but best not to think of that game as anything other than a one-off. Doubt anyone would have expected that same bunch to come good yet again if it was a five-Test series. Mind you, they very well may have, because the series had progressed to a psychological war of attrition by that stage, but it wouldn't have been a realistic expectation.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gill & Siraj, pretty much? They both had A team success to back up the domestic stuff.

Nattu doesn't have much in the way of FC success. Thakur averaged 35 with the ball in 2019. Saini averaged 43.

Again I do value domestic FC performance but I don't think this series made me value it any more/less.
You are confusing domestic form with domestic success, which both Shardul and Saini had, especially Shardul who has had killer FC seasons in the past. Which is what I meant, not most recent domestic form. I feel confident about Axar doing well in tests because he has dominated in FC, not because he dominated in FC in the most recent season.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea form is temporary. class is permanent, and generally FC records reflect that.

Sunder is only 21 - many gun players have barely had any FC cricket by that age, but he had played a fair amount by 18 and was only sitting out because of injuries more than anything else. He's definitely Test quality at his core.

Daemon

You are confusing domestic form with domestic success, which both Shardul and Saini had, especially Shardul who has had killer FC seasons in the past. Which is what I meant, not most recent domestic form. I feel confident about Axar doing well in tests because he has dominated in FC, not because he dominated in FC in the most recent season.
But that's what you literally said earlier

Anyways, Thakur has had some very good seasons, agreed.

Overall Thakur and Saini have some domestic success but the stats don't really scream select me lol. Plenty of bowlers with their numbers doing the rounds. In fact they both have similar numbers and Thakur bowled well but Saini didn't.

It's actually pretty rare to find a cricketer that's played for India in any format who hasn't had domestic FC success. Sundar was one such exception.

You had guys with success doing well, guys with success not doing so well. Then there was the guys with no success like Sundar who did well and Nattu who looked ok-ish.

So I don't think it's changed my opinion of how I value Ranji too much. It's very important but at the same time requires a bit more discretion than some other domestic structures around.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But that's what you literally said earlier

Anyways, Thakur has had some very good seasons, agreed.

Overall Thakur and Saini have some domestic success but the stats don't really scream select me lol. Plenty of bowlers with their numbers doing the rounds. In fact they both have similar numbers and Thakur bowled well but Saini didn't.

It's actually pretty rare to find a cricketer that's played for India in any format who hasn't had domestic FC success. Sundar was one such exception.

You had guys with success doing well, guys with success not doing so well. Then there was the guys with no success like Sundar who did well and Nattu who looked ok-ish.

So I don't think it's changed my opinion of how I value Ranji too much. It's very important but at the same time requires a bit more discretion than some other domestic structures around.
Yeah I used form in the original post when I just meant past success, but in Axar's case both was the most recent Ranji season, so I guess it is accurate as far as it goes. And I am not saying Ranji success is the only criteria. Just like Sundar or Shardul, Axar is another we have seen a lot of through LO cricket and IPL and I think he has shown improvements in his abiltiies, esp. with the bat, over a period of time. When you combine that with the fact that, like Shardul and Saini and Gill and Siraj, he has had domestic success (meaning tearing it up 1 or more seasons), I think it is reasonable to conclude he can do well at this level as well. I dont expect any of these guys to be world beaters on their own or even to be the best in their disciplines in the world or anything like that, but I think as part of a team, when surrounded by good enough players, they can do a job and help the team win games. I did not think any less before their success in Australia and I am not thinking much more post their success in Australia either. And I think Axar will be the same.

Shri

Mr. Glass

Includes a cameo of one of CW's own. :)
lol reading that article and from watching ashwin's latest video, it seems like ashwin's dad and washi's dad both attended the tied test match at the ground lmao

and they might both be playing together in a test in chennai

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol reading that article and from watching ashwin's latest video, it seems like ashwin's dad and washi's dad both attended the tied test match at the ground lmao

and they might both be playing together in a test in chennai
I attended that game too, although as a 3 year old, I obviously had NFI what was going on. Hopefully it means my lil one can play for the country one day. :)

mackembhoy

International Debutant
All the UK press are saying this starts at 4am UK time. Which if I'm not wrong is 930am Indian time.

For an Indian based posters. Should that not be 430am with a 10am start?

I won't be getting up till 7/8 so it makes not that much difference. But means I will get to watch more play with a slightly later start.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Winter sunsets happen pretty quickly over here so we usually play 9:30 to 4:30 IST in Sep-Mar period which is when our home tests happen mostly. If we play any time between April and June, we can do 10-5 for tests.