• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI World Cup or Test series victory in country you have never won ?

ODI World cup or Rare test series win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
So I guess Australians are excluded as haven't we already won a test series in every country?
In which countries Aus have not won so far? I am sure they have won in Bang and Zim. Afghanistan and Ireland do not count I think as they have played only 1 match each against Ind and Pak respectively so far.

h_hurricane

We do have series wins there though, now that Australia is pretty much done I'd say SA is the top target.
Yes. Test series win in England will be more difficult at this point for India but victory in SA would be more significant if and when it is achieved.

Slifer

International Captain
From a west indies perspective I'd think a win in rsa (and maybe SL) seeing that we've pretty much won everything else. Sad to say, but odis even the wc aren't a major priority right now. But I could be wrong though.

h_hurricane

From a west indies perspective I'd think a win in rsa (and maybe SL) seeing that we've pretty much won everything else. Sad to say, but odis even the wc aren't a major priority right now. But I could be wrong though.
Any particular reason WI and RSA didn't play against each other pre-apartheid ban ? There was a sure shot chance to achieve a series victory in RSA during Sobers days I feel.

sunilz

International Regular
India's last 4 test series in SA 2006-07, 2010-11, 2013-14, 2017-18 have all been extremely competitive . However in my opinion the biggest missed opportunity was 2006-07 . The way Tendulkar and Dravid batted in 2006-07 in the 3rd innings of decider test you could say that both of them choked . It was clear to everyone who watched that innings that both of them didn't have the belief that India could win in SA
3rd Test, India tour of South Africa at Cape Town, Jan 2-6 2007 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We do have series wins there though, now that Australia is pretty much done I'd say SA is the top target.
England will be tougher because we have to sustain it over 4 or 5 Tests vs. only 3 in SA.

Also, the pitches SA are producing lately are so bowler friendly that it always keeps visiting teams in with a chance.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

India's last 4 test series in SA 2006-07, 2010-11, 2013-14, 2017-18 have all been extremely competitive . However in my opinion the biggest missed opportunity was 2006-07 . The way Tendulkar and Dravid batted in 2006-07 in the 3rd innings of decider test you could say that both of them choked . It was clear to everyone who watched that innings that both of them didn't have the belief that India could win in SA
3rd Test, India tour of South Africa at Cape Town, Jan 2-6 2007 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
Yeah that was a pathetic collapse.

I still say Capetown 2011 was the bigger chance though. Had SA on the mat.

TheJediBrah

For me, beating Afghanistan away. Partly because it's the only one (other than Ireland) that Aus haven't done yet so my hands are tied, but also because I genuinely think we'll struggle and it would be a real achievement.

ODI WC is still a good prize if scores don't go above 300. A low scoring tourney would be great for a change.
2003 was good in this way. I know the final was high-scoring but most of the tournament was pretty low-scoring. Aus defended ~200 a few times.

Flem274*

123/5
Winning the 2015 WC was thoroughly enjoyable, in the same way that a bucket of popcorn is enjoyable. I can't say I really cared about it by the time the Ashes came around a few months later.
interesting to hear you say this given my answer

test series victory in south africa or australia (in that order of preference). the world cup final was annoying but we were due a batting collapse, upon which point the "obliterate them for 150 then chase it with ease" plan was going to hit a snag.

the home and away aus test series in 2015 is the most furious i've ever been watching a cricket match, specifically southee and boult spraying it down leg 2 balls per over and wagner being benched. those two in particular were so undisciplined which you can't be when bowling in australia.

the most resigned to being crushed and depressed i've ever been watching a cricket match was the post captaincy-gate south african tour, and nz have never toured sa well ever. winning there would be the final frontier for an nz test side and it will take a ridiculously good one to ever manage it.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
There really should be an asterisk for India, Pakistan and wi not beating rsa away. Especially the wi (when we had decent teams).

OverratedSanity

2011 WC was special and meant a lot simply because I wanted desperately for Sachin to win it and it was the last chance at glory for a lot of players in that team. It's up there with any test series India has won for me just for that. Even if India win in 2019, it wont mean anywhere near as much.

2001 Australia=2011 WC>2018 Australia>2004 Pak>2007 England

SillyCowCorner1

There really should be an asterisk for India, Pakistan and wi not beating rsa away. Especially the wi (when we had decent teams).
SA always owns us.

Some memorable tests though:

Nel getting married and dismissing Lara twice on the same day
Dwayne Smith we gave to the T20 world.

Slifer

International Captain
No what I'm saying is that if were WI were allowed to play rsa before their ban, it's very likely they'd have won a test series in rsa.