• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Cricket Bowling "Aces"

Are bowling aces a good idea?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

shortpitched713

International Captain
So I found it a bit strange how bowlers in ODIs are restricted to no more than 10 overs each, and the way this really limits the impact of the best bowlers, and hamstrings captains from making strategic decisions and mind-gaming the opposition. Basically in ODIs you have to have 5 bowlers, who are all potentially equally important, and probably a spare as well, in case it goes especially pear shaped for one of them.

Obviously, it goes without saying this is NOT what a fielding captain would choose if he had the choice. Now I don't want there to be no restrictions, and teams get away with having only 3 bowlers or something like that, but if the idea is to somewhat mimic the 5 bowler composition that can be common to Test cricket sides, why not also give the captains a bit more latitude, and allow an ace or two to exceed the 10 over limit. Something like 4 overs total beyond the maximum of 10 for each to be allocated to whichever bowlers a captain deems best I think would be great. And give the fielding team a bit more onus to attack with their strike bowlers in some circumstances.

I mean I know that Limited Overs cricket has just become a batting spectacle, so who gives a **** about bowling, but I think it would add some intrigue and incentive to that side of the game.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure that would be easy to enforce, or even necessary. If captains just want to use a spinner for 4 more overs in a defensive manner, that should be up to them.
Yeah but nobody watches ODIs for spinners. Maybe seeing them get belted perhaps.

Xuhaib

International Coach
There was an idea floated around here in CW more than 10 years ago, that you give an additional over for each bowler when they take a wicket. Simple yet so so good and makes such a strategic game of it too.
That is actually a gun idea and much better then some ridiculous things that have been tried in odi cricket

shortpitched713

International Captain
I was taking your idea 1 step further and letting them both 25 overs
I mean, if that's what you want to see, but that's not really what I'm proposing. I was proposing something like 4-5 extra overs beyond the 10 max to be assigned to one or however many bowlers you want.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah but nobody watches ODIs for spinners. Maybe seeing them get belted perhaps.
I dunno, Murali was pretty fun to watch in ODIs, because he was one of the few spinners who was allowed to, and did attack frequently during his overs.

But generally, if you're using your extra overs for spinners, it's a really defensive and I don't think a very effective strategy. You want bang for your ace overs buck, and a genuine strike seam bowler would usually be my choice.