• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next Test Nation???

Ur Next Test Playing Nation? Teams According to Present ICC Ranking...

• Ireland

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Kenya

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Scotland

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Netherlands/Holland

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Canada

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Bermuda

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • United Arab Emirates

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Namibia

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Denmark

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Oman

Votes: 11 12.5%

• Total voters

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lets Hope That ICC does something about it... But If therez gonna be a test team only after 20Yrs then am sure its gonna be China....
Why should the ICC do something about it? I'm all for developing the game globally, but handing out Test status to nations that don't deserve it is hardly the right way to go about it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why should the ICC do something about it? I'm all for developing the game globally, but handing out Test status to nations that don't deserve it is hardly the right way to go about it.
Believe he meant developing infrastructure to establish teams that do deserve it, as opposed to just handing it out to any Tom, Dick or Nepal.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Test status isn't about the quality of the team its about the $$$$$$ available to the ICC's economy from that country's cricket fans

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well there are 8 of them milling about, that disproves that statement.
:huh: Every single one of the 9 teams which have at some point been Test-standard (Zimbabwe were even if they're not any more) have become so by nature taking its course, not by the issue being forced.

I$C$C trying to manufacture Test-standard teams cannot and never will work.

Not sure why I didn't reply to this in this thread's earlier incarnation BTW.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
:huh: Every single one of the 9 teams which have at some point been Test-standard (Zimbabwe were even if they're not any more) have become so by nature taking its course, not by the issue being forced.

I$C$C trying to manufacture Test-standard teams cannot and never will work.

Not sure why I didn't reply to this in this thread's earlier incarnation BTW.
The nature of cricket has shifted radically from the days when the likes of Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe were finding their feet and today. The gulf in financial muscle between the then established teams and the newbies then was not as big nor and something must be done (even if its not by the ICC) to give the next set of teams a proper kickstart.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course, things have changed dramatically even in less than a couple of decades (far more, safe to say, than they changed in the previous 60 or 70 years). Of course, there is now more to teams becoming Test-class than there was in that of Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka and their predecessors. Though remember, of course, that Zimbabwe was for many years in cricketing terms part of South Africa. Likewise, Pakistan was simply a new political entity carved out of India.

But the thing that has not changed is that you cannot force cricket on those who do not wish to take it. Even the most enthusiastic, Kenya, Holland, Canada and (I say hesitently) USA currently have nowhere near the following to be challenging the big boys.

And I$C$C are doing far too much of this forcing for my liking, wasting money badly in doing so.