• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Rain Interrupted Idea

Riggins

International Captain
Err, no, I am sure litigations and future penalties will make this 'they will suck it up' notion a silly one.
I meant the councils should suck it up and change the rules, not the sporting body to deliberately ignore them.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
DL always disappoints me, even if it's fair. Should be a reserve day for each of the quarter and semi finals and the GF. You want to see the best sides play 50 overs each.

Le Mac

Banned
Just pondering the NZ - SA semi-final... what do posters think of this idea?

With 14 overs to be lost after South Africa had batted 38 overs before the rain.... how about... rather than play 43-vs-43 overs, why not let the team batting first bat out their 50 overs, then set the team batting second a target with 36 overs to bat.

I think D/L is reasonably uncontroversial about setting a reduced over target that is as equivalently difficult as the total made in 50 overs by the team batting first. (Though I do wonder how D/L copes with the recent escalation in scores.)

What to me at least is unclear is the rationale for saying in effect that "if South Africa had known they would have only 43 overs rather than 50 when they started their innings, they would have scored x runs (16 in this match) more than they did by the time of the 38th over when the rain came, without losing any more wickets".

So to reduce the amount of artificiality in the process, why not let one whole innings play out naturally, then you only have to set a target, which seems to be a fairly easy statistical exercise.

No.