• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Bookie said:
Rudi van Vuuren, he was a great player at the World Cup, but Namibias in the southern hemishpere you tw@t.
Sorry, don't know how I mucked that up, my apologies.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Question

Holder of a unique batting record (not on his own), Was regarded as one of the most gentlemen of cricketers !! Was honoured by a stand at a famous ground named after him! :)

Let the questions begin ! Unfortunately I am going to be off line soon, So will endeavour to answer tomorrow !! (sorry guys )
:)
Was that record in test cricket?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
The problem is the record you say he shared. hmmm

WG ?
Q8 WG ? No

Advanced Clue- .......... took his Bar final examination in 1896, and in subsequent years he often stated in his speeches that "I am by courtesy my learned friend." :D :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
"His wife was present at the famous Eton and Harrow match of 1910 -- Fowler's match -- and with Eton apparently well beaten she turned to a friend and said, "I shall not send my boy to Eton as they cannot play cricket," and then left Lord's for her home in Kent as the end seemed so near. When she reached Caring she found a telegram awaiting her: "Better send him, Eton won by nine runs." :laugh: :laugh:

On Friday March ........, his ashes were scattered at Lord's near the ....... stand (named after him) close to the spot where he had hit his first four for Rugby v Marlborough in ......... It was my very great privilege to be present on a most impressive occasion. The wind blew hard during the ceremony, but the sun was shining. Directly we returned to the pavilion it poured with rain. I couldn't help thinking dear old ...... had been favoured to the very end.
:cry:

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Did you say a stand or a gate named after him ?
Q10 Did you say a stand or a gate named after him ? ( I cannot answer this yes or no :D ) but as far as I know a stand was named in the 50s, not sure if it still stands at Lords though !! :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hint 1 - Big Big Clue - He was involved in the most controversial series in the history of the game Ever !! (since I am in a generous mood and have to go soon ) :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Gubby Allen but he did not debut before WW 1

The four stands named after cricketers at Lords are
WarnerStand
Allen Stand
Edrich Stand
Compton Stand.

Warner is the only one of pre WW 1 vintage. While Gubby Allen is as much of a gentleman and was involved in Bodyline series.

Take your pick :p