• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muralitharan a burglar,a thief and a dacoit : Bedi

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LankanPrince said:
I cannot believe the ignorance of Bedi here!:!( Muralitharan's action has been cleared by the ICC. That is a fact. I am not saying his bowling action is perfect but then their are plenty of bowlers who have had questionable actions such as Brett Lee and Shoaib Ahktar. None have recieved such a bad insult to their character like this. We should be supportive to Muralitharan. He is a credit to the game of cricket and has revitalised the art of spin bowling. He is loved by fans and players and alike and is an undoubtable success. It isn't fair to take away his great achievements just because the legality of his action his concerned. Maybe Bedi is jealous that he did not achieve such great feats. If he wants to criticise some real 'cheats' and 'theifs', he should look closer to home as their are enough match fixers in India. These people have commited crimes and have changed the course of games unfairly for players and fans with their greed for money. It is unfair to associate Murali as a 'cheat' and a 'thief' by degrading him in such a way. I think it is time some of these old retired cricketers learn lessons for malicious comments as they are not above the cricketing world to make such comments.
I agree almost entirely with this post, except that I don't see anything illegal about Murali, Shoaib or Brett Lee's actions. Nor James Kirtley, nor Mohammad Rafique (any more than any other left-arm fingerspinner) nor anyone else who suffers from double-jointedness or the reverse.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If they had a look at him now, and cleared him, I would be quite happy with his action. Fact is, though, they cleared him 6 years ago, or whenever it was.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
I agree almost entirely with this post, except that I don't see anything illegal about Murali, Shoaib or Brett Lee's actions. Nor James Kirtley, nor Mohammad Rafique (any more than any other left-arm fingerspinner) nor anyone else who suffers from double-jointedness or the reverse.
Ahem :O

Rafique

A couple of years ago when he got reported he was chucking so blatantly it just wasnt funny , no excuses , no abnormality , he was quite simply throwing the ball , he was more suited to the pitching role in baseball than the 'art' of finger spin bowling.

It is now less blatant , he's clearly done a bit of work , but , IMO he still chucks.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
But his abnormality does allow him to bowl like a normal person cant. So that gives him an unfair advantage over the others. So shouldnt be allowed to play. Simple really.
So he doesn't chuck now, it's just he has such an advantage that he shouldn't be allowed to play? So of course, Shane Warne shouldn't play because he's so consistant, Sachin should be banned because his eyes are obviously too good. :rolleyes:

Murali has had to cope with an arm which doesn't straighten for most of his life, which means he finds it hard to do some things out of cricket, but when he's on the field, it makes him a superb bowler. Yet again there is no case here, it's not unfair, no one has given any evidence that he chucks his new delivery, so why can't we just leave Murali alone and talk about something more interisting?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I don't think Murali would be any lesser bowler even if he could straighten his arm to 180 degrees.
Indeed, maybe he'd be even better, because people wouldn't hallucinate illegalities in his action and hence he wouldn't have had to cope with all he has.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:
Ahem :O

Rafique

A couple of years ago when he got reported he was chucking so blatantly it just wasnt funny , no excuses , no abnormality , he was quite simply throwing the ball , he was more suited to the pitching role in baseball than the 'art' of finger spin bowling.

It is now less blatant , he's clearly done a bit of work , but , IMO he still chucks.
I thought it was as blatant as ever, too, but I've thought exactly the same about every left-arm fingerspinner I've ever seen, too.:rolleyes:
I can only presume it is hallucination on my part the same as the millions on Murali, Shoaib and others'.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
I thought it was as blatant as ever, too, but I've thought exactly the same about every left-arm fingerspinner I've ever seen, too.:rolleyes:
I can only presume it is hallucination on my part the same as the millions on Murali, Shoaib and others'.
I really don't see the thing about left-arm spinners. Ok most of them don't tend to bowl with an offie's action (like Croft or Ball), but I don't see how you can look like you chuck because you bowl with the other arm! I've never suspected any lefties of chucking, and I'll stick my neck out here and say I don't think I've bowled a ball without my arm being dead straight, it's just too hard not to.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Rik said:
I really don't see the thing about left-arm spinners. Ok most of them don't tend to bowl with an offie's action (like Croft or Ball), but I don't see how you can look like you chuck because you bowl with the other arm! I've never suspected any lefties of chucking, and I'll stick my neck out here and say I don't think I've bowled a ball without my arm being dead straight, it's just too hard not to.
I don't see it with left arm spinners, either, although I do think Rafique chucks. But, does Giles chuck? Does Vettori chuck? Does Kartik chuck? The answer to all these is no.

Craig

World Traveller
Rik said:
I agree 100% with you.

I have a few balls left handed (I'm actually right and is occasionally more acurate) and you will know if you dont chuck as you can feel it straight.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
I'd have no objections whatsoever to them looking at it, because I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that they'd find exactly the same thing they found with the off-break.
And it would make sense for them to look at it, just to reconfine all the doubts to every delivery, rather than this silly confination to the other deliveries.
Jeez (to use and Australianism), how many bowlers bowl other deliveries? Why should there be a problem with Murali's leg-break or straight-onner if there is no problem with his off-break? It just doesn't make sense.
Again the condescension fails to disguise the fact that you haven't really moved the debate on with this post. Some "silly" people think his leg break action looks a bit different to the others and - to the naked eye - involves some straightening of the arm. That's why us idiots think there could be a problem.

The point you make later, about other bowlers having their "other" deliveries checked out and generally getting the all clear is more pertinent, assuming your facts are right.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
garage flower said:
Again the condescension fails to disguise the fact that you haven't really moved the debate on with this post. Some "silly" people think his leg break action looks a bit different to the others and - to the naked eye - involves some straightening of the arm. That's why us idiots think there could be a problem.

The point you make later, about other bowlers having their "other" deliveries checked out and generally getting the all clear is more pertinent, assuming your facts are right.
I don't think so. What I think is that there are many people on this forum who have been through this arguement so many times they really cannot be bothered to have to keep going through it again and again as new members join. There is no proof he chucks his new delivery, and there is no proof that he doesn't. Until anything comes up just let this thread die, like all the others did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
I don't get it either - as I say, I'm sure it must just be optical-illusion.
I've only ever looked at it on the odd angle, never made an extensive study, so it really isn't something worth making a massive deal over.
I would never dream of accusing anyone of chucking just because they bowl left-arm fingerspin.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
I don't see it with left arm spinners, either, although I do think Rafique chucks. But, does Giles chuck? Does Vettori chuck? Does Kartik chuck? The answer to all these is no.
The answer to all these, and any other left-arm fingerspinner I've ever watched, is yes, but as I say, I've never made an extensive study of the matter so until I do I won't make a great deal out of it, I'll just say it's a weird thing that is probably just idiosycrasy on my part.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
garage flower said:
And why is it that you are so keen to assert that "I haven't moved the debate on"? Perhaps because I have asked questions you can't answer satisfactarily?
The reason people are very, very silly indeed to question Murali's leg-break is because plenty of bowlers bowl different deliveries without anyone questioning anything.
Of course a different delivery will look different, but that doesn't mean it's illigal.
The main reason people question Murali's leg-break is because they know his off-break has been cleared by people who know what they're talking about and his leg-break hasn't. However, they ignore the fact that people have questioned his off-break for reasons that his defenders have realised are obvious - because he has a physical defect that, to the naked eye, creates an illusion of throwing.
There is no reason that an alternative delivery delivered by a bowler whose stock-ball is legal should be illegal, is there?
That really isn't very difficult to understand, so maybe you'd better resort to your tactic.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Rik said:
So he doesn't chuck now, it's just he has such an advantage that he shouldn't be allowed to play? So of course, Shane Warne shouldn't play because he's so consistant, Sachin should be banned because his eyes are obviously too good. :rolleyes:

Murali has had to cope with an arm which doesn't straighten for most of his life, which means he finds it hard to do some things out of cricket, but when he's on the field, it makes him a superb bowler. Yet again there is no case here, it's not unfair, no one has given any evidence that he chucks his new delivery, so why can't we just leave Murali alone and talk about something more interisting?
No one has given evidence that he chucks but the ICC wouldnt be interested in angering Sri Lanka and putting him out if he did chuck. ICC has 10 full members and it doesnt have enough balls to anger Lanka.

When did I suggest he doesnt chuck or chucks which you make out? No one can prove this about chucking but he dos have a huge advantage over others for whatever abnormailty he has. Natural talent and unnatural phsycal abnormality are pretty different. I dont think the people making the laws though of some one like Murali when they did. Murali is just bending the laws of the game and playing. We cant leave Murali alone coz he will surpass every one in the wickets tally not because of a great talent but because of his abnormality.

I dont accept the way Bedi put it but there are many people in the cricketin world, specially umpires who dont think Murali bowls the way he should. No amount of arhuement on whether he chucks or not can convince me that he should be playing.

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
Who wrote that?
And who said Murali bowled a doosra? The doosra is a fingerspinner's delivery, invented by Saqlain Mushtaq and copied by Harbhajan Singh, Shaftab Khalid and, apparently, Sarandeep Singh as well now.
Murali is a wristspinner. Wristspinners bowl stock-balls and wrong-'uns. And sometimes they bowl different deliveries, which they give their own names to.
Do u know what is a doosra. Its a hindi word for "the second one". So u can call a ball doosra when it is different from a bowlers stock delivery.
Therefore murali bowls a Doosra. There cannot be any specific definition of the term Doosra.

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
Prayutush, your statements about Murali are as stupid as this one:

"Steve Bucknor has taken money"