• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali

Is Murali a 'chucker'?

• Yes

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Based on...

Funny how so many people just say he is, but cannot back it up with anything!
Based on the straightening of the arm when he bowls the leg break. The offy and toppy are OK ... there is no straightneing. Not so with the leggy .. definate elbow movement.

But so what ... I don't care if slow bowlers have a partial straightening of the arm. Murali's spin comes from his wrist and shoulder ... the straightening is probably a necessity to enable him to get the ball to go the other way.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
But the fact remains that his action was analysed a long time ago, not recently. His wrong'un has not been analised as of yet.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
who are u talking about halsey - harbhajan or murali ?

Harbhjan had a suspect action a few years ago but he looks Ok now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
who are u talking about halsey - harbhajan or murali ?

Harbhjan had a suspect action a few years ago but he looks Ok now.
Harbhajan doesn't bowl a wrong-'un! Why can't people get cricketing terms right! Harbhajan and Saqlain bowl a doosra, and only Raymond Illingworth has a thing about it being impossible to bowl this without bending your arm.
I really don't know where he gets that from, but I can't bowl it legally or illegally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
But the fact remains that his action was analysed a long time ago, not recently. His wrong'un has not been analised as of yet.
But why should there be any problem with his wrong-'un, when many wristspinners bowl a wrong'-un without there being any suspicion.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Why can't people get cricketing terms right! Harbhajan and Saqlain bowl a doosra
A "doosra" - wasn't aware that that was a cricketing term just yet. Think it was a name made up by the first bowler to deliver one that went the other way.

Makes more sense to me to call it a wrong 'un, since at least people know it goes the other way to the stock ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Saqlain was the first to call his other one the "doosra" as far as I know.
Harbhajan of course calls it that too.
I've never heard them referred to as "wrong-'uns" and I have heard plenty of commentators talk about Saqlain and Harbhajan's doosra.
For me it's as much of a cricketing term as a googly or a flipper. Or a slower-ball. Or a Beamer. Or a Bouncer. Or...