• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most overrated cricketer

BazBall21

International Regular
They say they don’t want consistency from him. But I would argue he is very consistent. Consistently ****e.

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
Kane Williamson ... I know it's a bit controversial but a lot of people overlook his record away from home against the top sides ..
His averages against the top 6 sides of his era in their backyard/ UAE :

Australia - 42.85
England - 30.53
South Africa - 21.17
India - 33.53
UAE - 64.70
Sri Lanka - 26.71

I mean you do expect better from someone whose rated as highly as Williamson is.

Gob

International Coach
Kane Williamson ... I know it's a bit controversial but a lot of people overlook his record away from home against the top sides ..
His averages against the top 6 sides of his era in their backyard/ UAE :

Australia - 42.85
England - 30.53
South Africa - 21.17
India - 33.53
UAE - 64.70
Sri Lanka - 26.71

I mean you do expect better from someone whose rated as highly as Williamson is.
It's not at all controversial here. He is usually rated alongside Mahela and Sehwag here

subshakerz

International Coach
Lillee and Viv are two of the most obvious examples of players being elevated above their immediate stats by people within the game. Kapil Dev is up there for that.
Viv doesn't have a stats issue. Statistically, he covered all his bases, 40 plus average everywhere, high SR ahead of his time, perhaps the greatest year of batting performance ever, and then multiple high return series against great bowlers. Point is you can make a case for him being in the highest company.

Lillee has a stats issue since he never performed in Asia or WI.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Viv's doesn't have stat issues per say to be considered an ATG bat, it's just for the reputation he has(in most people's argument for best after Bradman with Sachin, Sobers, Hobbs, Lara etc) he doesn't really have the numbers to back it up. Scored 5 tons in his last 40 tests averaging low 40s, still useful to the team but that's a pretty long time to have less than ATG level output. Basically turned into Ian Bell by the end

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara and I think Ponting gets underrated due to his record in India which is fine.
Lara and Tendulkar are perfectly rated here and by serious cricket fans. Sachin gets overratd by the hero-worshipping indian crowd tho.

Ponting on the other hand averaged 11.5 during his peak in India. Can't be the best with such a record.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I always thought Gary Sobers was over rated in that his record doesn't justify the tag of the greatest all rounder ever.

He was a truly brilliant batsman and a fine bowler but 230 odd wkts at 34 a piece isn't an all time great record.

A brilliant cricketer - absolutely - but a better all rounder than Kallis, Imran or Botham - I'm not so sure.

Gob

International Coach
Lara and Tendulkar are perfectly rated here and by serious cricket fans. Sachin gets overratd by the hero-worshipping indian crowd tho.

Ponting on the other hand averaged 11.5 during his peak in India
. Can't be the best with such a record.
2001 was before his peak

Slifer

International Captain
I always thought Gary Sobers was over rated in that his record doesn't justify the tag of the greatest all rounder ever.

He was a truly brilliant batsman and a fine bowler but 230 odd wkts at 34 a piece isn't an all time great record.

A brilliant cricketer - absolutely - but a better all rounder than Kallis, Imran or Botham - I'm not so sure.
Imran and Kallis are there with him (and possibly Miller) but Botham no. Sobers and Imran cancel each other out with their stronger and better weaker traits but Sobers was a much much better fielder so edge to Sobers for me.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He played one match in India in 2004.

4th test Scored 11 and 12 in 1st and 2nd innings respectively.

In the 08 tour he scored 266 runs @38 to his credit tho.
Ponting barely played in India during his peak. The one test he played in 2004 was a lottery dustbowl where batting skill was pretty much irrelevent, that was the game Clarke took 6 for 9

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Imran and Kallis are there with him (and possibly Miller) but Botham no. Sobers and Imran cancel each other out with their stronger and better weaker traits but Sobers was a much much better fielder so edge to Sobers for me.
Not a fan of Botham but he unlike Khan, Kallis, and Sobers gave more consistent all-round performances.

Botham has 5 times both scored a century and took a fifer in a match. Kallis 2, Sobers 2 and Khan 1.

Meanwhile Ashwin has 3 times

Ponting barely played in India during his peak. The one test he played in 2004 was a lottery dustbowl where batting skill was pretty much irrelevent, that was the game Clarke took 6 for 9
I wonder why.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's definitely Lillee historically. Trueman, Ponting and Viv also up there.

It's Starc if we're talking current players, but obviously not on CW. If anything CW might slightly under-rate him, but mostly just because of TJB and trundler skewing it so much.

I nominate Stokes if we're talking CW-only. Fight me @GIMH.
EDIT: And Ajaz ****ing Patel. A great example of not playing enhancing one's reputation more than playing would.