• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most boring & the most Stylish Batsman

Who is most Stylish Batsman?

• Total voters

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
1) - Well I think Rahul Dravid and Jacques Kallis both are the most boring batsman
becasue they hardly hit big shots.
These two can score as fast as most playing international cricket (when the time calss for it).

Athlai

Not Terrible
Even if it were true, it'd hardly matter, though, would it?
I'm certain he was kidding. But don't you feel that a heart racing mis hit as Afridi charges down the pitch for his first delivery is more exciting than a Kallis perfectly timed block? It might not be good cricket but it is what in my opinion is more likely to get the heart racing.

Flem274*

123/5
Boring=Ganga

Stylish-Stephen Fleming (yeah I'm biased, sue me)

Funny-Chris Martin

Infuriating for bowlers-Mark Richardson. He just wouldn't touch width and when they strayed too straight or legside he'd pick them off. So funy to watch the bowlers grumble al the way back to their mark as Richardson moves on to 8* from 108.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm certain he was kidding. But don't you feel that a heart racing mis hit as Afridi charges down the pitch for his first delivery is more exciting than a Kallis perfectly timed block? It might not be good cricket but it is what in my opinion is more likely to get the heart racing.
It's obvious he was kidding, yeah, but nonetheless, no, I don't have the heart-rate racing in said circumstances, just a "oh, here we go again, time to throw the wicket away again", which is no different to a Kallis block.

Flem274*

123/5
It's obvious he was kidding, yeah, but nonetheless, no, I don't have the heart-rate racing in said circumstances, just a "oh, here we go again, time to throw the wicket away again", which is no different to a Kallis block.
Except Kallis doesn't throw his wicket away with the block.:p

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think a wicket being taken can be brilliant stuff. Balls flying around at great speeeds gets the blood pumping a bit more than a ball rolling slowly back up the pitch eh?

Whether it hits the wicket, the boundary or is caught by a player its interesting, changes the outcome of the match.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Infuriating for bowlers-Mark Richardson. He just wouldn't touch width and when they strayed too straight or legside he'd pick them off. So funy to watch the bowlers grumble al the way back to their mark as Richardson moves on to 8* from 108.
Sorely missed to be honest, imagine if he were still around. Bracewell wouldve had him in the 20/20 world cup, I set my watch and warrant on it. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think a wicket being taken can be brilliant stuff. Balls flying around at great speeeds gets the blood pumping a bit more than a ball rolling slowly back up the pitch eh?

Whether it hits the wicket, the boundary or is caught by a player its interesting, changes the outcome of the match.
But I don't remotely enjoy seeing a player batting like **** and making himself look utterly foolish, which Afridi does with regularity.

I like seeing high-calibre cricket, and if it's so gutter-standard as that, I can't really enjoy any aspect of it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
But I don't remotely enjoy seeing a player batting like **** and making himself look utterly foolish, which Afridi does with regularity.

I like seeing high-calibre cricket, and if it's so gutter-standard as that, I can't really enjoy any aspect of it.
Thats what you like, yet thats not excitement, thats enjoyment.

Flem274*

123/5
1 from 9 would be a match winner in my opinion.
Maybe, but Gillespie would get us there quicker.:laugh:

Oh and with regards to Afridi, seeing him get out stupidly is entertaining as we can all laugh at his IQ. If he does play a big innings then we can all jump around like the Afridi worshippers that gave us our severe injuries for having laughed at his IQ earlier...

Athlai

Not Terrible
Maybe, but Gillespie would get us there quicker.:laugh:

Oh and with regards to Afridi, seeing him get out stupidly is entertaining as we can all laugh at his IQ. If he does play a big innings then we can all jump around like the Afridi worshippers that gave us our severe injuries for having laughed at his IQ earlier...
Ah the Gillespie innings, a perfect example of excitement in cricket. How many mis hits did he score off? And then when he hit a legitimate boundary the crowd (and very probably nation) went bonkers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I voted for Ponting, instantly, but now I'm not so sure.

I think Ponting is awesome, but the way he defends down the pitch on the leg side is an ugly (but effective enough) shot that he plays, which to me isn't as stylish as some of the other players mentioned.

If we were watching just a highlights package it would be Ponting for mine.

I think Tendulkar should be added to the poll btw.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The two are intertwined, though, no?
I enjoy a cool glass of scotch, I am not excited by a cool glass of scotch. A loud bang by my ear when I don't expect it excites me, I do not enjoy said loud bang.

They can fall together but excitement tends to branch away just from things that are fun and that you like. Excitement is more of a word that invokes a reaction, it makes you want to move, in this case move around in your seat and yell at the television, boo hiss and cheer with the game. While enjoyment can also be something you are perfectly relaxed with, like watching an easy paced 200 run partnership by your favourite players.

You don't have to like being excited but hey! I'd like you to appreciate that players of his mould are 'exciting'. Like an explosion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting definition of exciting, wouldn't say it's one I'd ever thought about before, TBH - wouldn't consider a loud bang in my ear excited me at all.

But no, the potential of watching Afridi throw his wicket away for the umpteenth time doesn't really, I wouldn't say, excite me at all - it's just a "here-we-go-again, let's get this rubbish over with" feeling I get.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Interesting definition of exciting, wouldn't say it's one I'd ever thought about before, TBH - wouldn't consider a loud bang in my ear excited me at all.

But no, the potential of watching Afridi throw his wicket away for the umpteenth time doesn't really, I wouldn't say, excite me at all - it's just a "here-we-go-again, let's get this rubbish over with" feeling I get.
Frightened and excited can fall in the same category oddly enough. You can become excited by a terrible event, BUT word play has no more relevance to this discussion.

I understand how you see it really, Afridi has never been a huge favourite of mine as he is more of a wicket chucker than a legitimate hitter for me. Chris Cairns would be my definition of an exciting player.