• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Asif

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Class bowler in the making or another false dawn?

Any opinion from the Pakistani contingent on the board.

He's cursed by the fast bowlers name of Mohammad .... Akram, Zahid, Sami. Will he go the same way?

I'll reserve judgement until i've seen him on the tour of England

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The fact that he's doing it on pitches which aren't favouring the seamers is what amazes me. For example in Pakistan's 2nd innings of the 3rd test against India, when Pakistan were piling on plenty of runs, everyone was claiming the wicket had flattened out and India could draw the match etc. etc. Then Asif gets the ball for Pakistan and suddenly the ball is nipping in a mile and all the Indian batsman don't have a clue. Again, the SL pacers couldn't do jack all on the pitch, it was all Murali, yet Asif destroys SL.

He's a star in the making, and I think he'll do very well in England.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I've only seen the "old" Asif, and didn't think a great deal of him. He appears to be bowling excellently at the moment, though. Keen to watch him in England.

adharcric

International Coach
Jono said:
The fact that he's doing it on pitches which aren't favouring the seamers is what amazes me. For example in Pakistan's 2nd innings of the 3rd test against India, when Pakistan were piling on plenty of runs, everyone was claiming the wicket had flattened out and India could draw the match etc. etc. Then Asif gets the ball for Pakistan and suddenly the ball is nipping in a mile and all the Indian batsman don't have a clue. Again, the SL pacers couldn't do jack all on the pitch, it was all Murali, yet Asif destroys SL.

He's a star in the making, and I think he'll do very well in England.
Well that 2nd innings involved some really pathetic bowling from the Indian seamers so that's one reason why Pakistan flourished with the bat and India didn't. Still, Asif was brilliant and his probing line and occasionally unplayable cutters are amazing. Really looks like a McGrath.

dinu23

International Debutant
I think he's an excellent bowler. any fast bowler who can swing or seam the ball on pitches in Sri Lanka are special.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dinu23 said:
I think he's an excellent bowler. any fast bowler who can swing or seam the ball on pitches in Sri Lanka are special.
Jermaine Lawson and Daren Powell?

dinu23

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Jermaine Lawson and Daren Powell?
I don't remember them doing much with the ball, maybe they did but Asifs' line and length is always spot on much like McGrath.

dinu23

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Did you not watch that series at all?!:dry:
they got wickets but their accuracy is not that great. I would rate Asif ahead of Lawson and Powell.

Mr Mxyzptlk

dinu23 said:
they got wickets but their accuracy is not that great. I would rate Asif ahead of Lawson and Powell.
In that series (on Sri Lankan pitches) their accuracy was quite good (especially Powell). They bowled well and bowled successfully. Considering that you're judging Asif on two Tests in Sri Lanka, I don't see why it's any different for Powell and Lawson. What they've done since and what they did before is hardly relevant.

I'm not saying they're as good as Mohammad Asif. I'm just saying that judging a seamer on success in Sri Lanka is a flawed method.

dinu23

International Debutant
ok ur saying that a fast bowler who consistently fools the batsmen with swing and seam with accurancy on pitches in sri lanka can't be called good? as far as I know bowlers like that would be leathal on seamer friendly pitches.

by the way Asif swings the ball much more than either Powell or Lawson IMO. maybe the conditions were better this time around for fast bowlers than when WI were here (with all the rain and cloud cover), i don't know.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
ok ur saying that a fast bowler who consistently fools the batsmen with swing and seam with accurancy on pitches in sri lanka can't be called good? as far as I know bowlers like that would be leathal on seamer friendly pitches.
No, he's saying that other bowlers who aren't especially good have done that as well. Like say Jermaine Lawson.

dinu23

International Debutant
I don't remember either Lawson or Powell consistently beating the batsmen when they were here. but Asif, man! did u see the ball he bowled to get Sanga out in the first test match? it was a beauty. also the ball that got Tharanga out in this match, superb.

all i'm saying is that I see something special about Asif.

Mr Mxyzptlk

dinu23 said:
I don't remember either Lawson or Powell consistently beating the batsmen when they were here.
Well then you didn't see the series properly. There wasn't much to scream about for the West Indies in that series, but the bowling of Powell and Lawson was right up there. Even ordinary bowlers can get it right for the length of a 2-match series.

Also, you've not seen enough to make a sweeping statement about how much Powell/Lawson swing the ball. Mohammad Asif > Powell/Lawson, but that's because he gets it right more often. All three got it right in Sri Lanka.

dinu23

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well then you didn't see the series properly. There wasn't much to scream about for the West Indies in that series, but the bowling of Powell and Lawson was right up there. Even ordinary bowlers can get it right for the length of a 2-match series.

Also, you've not seen enough to make a sweeping statement about how much Powell/Lawson swing the ball. Mohammad Asif > Powell/Lawson, but that's because he gets it right more often. All three got it right in Sri Lanka.
Lawson and Powell didn't trouble the batsmen like Asif did. they got wickets, some due to good deliveries and others due to bad shots.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I find Mohammad Asif alongwith Kamran Akmal and Suresh Raina to be the three most exciting players that have emerged in the subcontinent this year.

No one can predict what will go wrong in a promising youngster's career without taking a big risk of denting his 'soothsayering' reputaion. But from what one has seen so far, he has it all.

He is not just all speed like some others mentioned or all extravagent movement. The guy has the one ingredient that is most likely to help him sustain his great career-start and that is his amazing maturity in maintaing his line and length.

While those who have compared his trait of tight line and length to MCGrath can be accused of fantastic hyperbole, the point is well taken. He HAS the virue of line and length that separates him from other young bowlers just as Mcgrath stands apart from the top bowlers of the world.

He has what it takes to last early though it is to say much more than that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

dinu23 said:
Lawson and Powell didn't trouble the batsmen like Asif did. they got wickets, some due to good deliveries and others due to bad shots.
They bowled the line. They bowled the lenth. They beat the bat. They got some wickets with good balls. They got some wickets due to bad shots.

Don't try to act like Asif hasn't benefited from some pretty ordinary strokeplay as well.
Again Asif > Powell and Lawson due to greater consistency.

dinu23

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Don't try to act like Asif hasn't benefited from some pretty ordinary strokeplay as well.
Again Asif > Powell and Lawson due to greater consistency.
he didnt benifit from ordinary shots, that's whats amazing!
and I agree with the second statement.

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
adharcric said:
Asif, Akmal and Raina definitely. Add Sreesanth and Munaf to that list.
why is Dhoni's name misssing from that list??
i think the guy has made a bigger impact on the game than Akmal