• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mlukei Nkala

Chubb

International Regular
To expand even though I'm not sure why this thread was created, Nkala was one of the first generation of black players to come through the Zim system and he always had talent, he was never going to be a great player but he would have been a serviceable bowler who bats a bit. He was a perfectly decent overseas club pro. Like the rest of that generation he was screwed over by the political and economic collapse of Zimbabwe. His stats don't really give a fair impression since his career was so massively disrupted by that.

Apparently a very nice person with a good attitude and some had him marked down as a potential captain in the early days.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's actually more surprising how much he under-achieved with the bat tbh.
From what I gathered from following Zimbabwe cricket in the early-00s was that their domestic comp was quite weak and as a result a lot of their bowlers looked like they should be all-rounders based on their domestic results but in reality they were standard tail-enders, eg, Nkala, Friend, Brent. Even Ray Price was an opening batsman in junior cricket

Or at least this was the justification I made as a kid trying to figure out why they weren't as good as I expected them to be

TheJediBrah

In Nkala's case you could say that he underachieved with the ball to about the same extent he under-achieved with the bat, coming to inevitable conclusion that he probably just wasn't very good

Chubb

International Regular
From what I gathered from following Zimbabwe cricket in the early-00s was that their domestic comp was quite weak and as a result a lot of their bowlers looked like they should be all-rounders based on their domestic results but in reality they were standard tail-enders, eg, Nkala, Friend, Brent. Even Ray Price was an opening batsman in junior cricket

Or at least this was the justification I made as a kid trying to figure out why they weren't as good as I expected them to be
This is true. It's also why I believed Gavin Ewing would have the output of someone like Shakib. At one point he averaged 60 with the bat and 25 with the ball in Zimbabwean first-class cricket.

Again, he was not a terrible cricketer, he did okay in the few tests he played and he was a good overseas pro in high-level club cricket in the UK (he played in the Devon League and a few others). But he was not world class.

Chubb

International Regular
There are exceptions though. Vusi Sibanda is one. If he was English or Australian he would have scored thousands of international runs. Chigumbura is another. If they'd been born in a first world country they would have made the most of their ability and talent.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vusi Sibanda is one. If he was English or Australian he would have scored thousands of international runs.
Prince EWS bait if ever I've seen it. What next, praising Mathew Sinclair?

Scott Brant - what happened to him. I remember him playing for Essex and Queensland, picked up a few injuries and then disappeared. I noticed when looking up Mike Kasprowicz the other day (due to the Siddle vs. Kasprowicz thread) that Brant played in his [Kasper's] last FC appearance and that was Brant's final season.

Chubb

International Regular
Prince EWS bait if ever I've seen it. What next, praising Mathew Sinclair?

Scott Brant - what happened to him. I remember him playing for Essex and Queensland, picked up a few injuries and then disappeared. I noticed when looking up Mike Kasprowicz the other day (due to the Siddle vs. Kasprowicz thread) that Brant played in his [Kasper's] last FC appearance and that was Brant's final season.
Both Prince and I have immense respect for Vusi's talents.

I don't know what happened to Brant, I do remember him at Essex.

TheJediBrah

Brant was a very good bowler, better than any that Zim put forward at international level other around that time than Streak IMO

I also wonder why he never played for them, possibly he was trying to qualify for England

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Friend was actually alright with the bat in international cricket.

Nkala even underachieved domestically. He looked alright at the crease, just never made any runs. Brent was the opposite - scored big domestically but just looked absolutely ****. Probably a better example of what you're talking about.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
There were so many careers that got derailed at that time. Wish Pommie Mbangwa had more tests, and Andy Blignaut as well...