• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Procter dead at 77

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
The County Championship was exclusively played over three days until the 1980s.
County was played almost exclusively as 3 days until almost the 90s.

I thought most of Currie cup went 4 days in the 70s though? Someone correct me please.

Marius

International Debutant

I thought most of Currie cup went 4 days in the 70s though? Someone correct me please.
I think they were also played over three days until the 1980s sometime. Will need to check.

SeamUp

International Coach

Pretty sure those 4 days would have been for rest days on Sundays?

4-day cricket started 91/92 . But also going with what I thought I knew.

Last edited:

AndrewB

He gave the Gloucestershire fans some entertainment in the last month or so of the 1979 season:

August 2-3: Glos v Leics: Procter hit a hundred before lunch, then took a hat-trick the next day (first player to score 100 and take a hat-trick in the same match twice).
August 11: Glos v Yorks: Procter takes another hat-trick, this time all lbw (first player to take 2 lbw hat-tricks).
August 21: Glos v Surrey: Procter scores fastest championship hundred of the season to date: 100* in 76 minutes (5 sixes and 14 fours).
August 27: Glos v Somerset: Procter score 93 in 46 minutes, (8 sixes and 4 fours, including 6 sixes off successive balls from Dennis Breakwell as mentioned earlier in the thread).
September 2: Glos v Warwicks: Procter scores 92 in 35 minutes (3 sixes and 10 fours).
September 6: Glos v Northants: Procter scores 100* in 57 minutes (2 sixes and 15 fours).

Bolo.

He gave the Gloucestershire fans some entertainment in the last month or so of the 1979 season:

August 2-3: Glos v Leics: Procter hit a hundred before lunch, then took a hat-trick the next day (first player to score 100 and take a hat-trick in the same match twice).
August 11: Glos v Yorks: Procter takes another hat-trick, this time all lbw (first player to take 2 lbw hat-tricks).
August 21: Glos v Surrey: Procter scores fastest championship hundred of the season to date: 100* in 76 minutes (5 sixes and 14 fours).
August 27: Glos v Somerset: Procter score 93 in 46 minutes, (8 sixes and 4 fours, including 6 sixes off successive balls from Dennis Breakwell as mentioned earlier in the thread).
September 2: Glos v Warwicks: Procter scores 92 in 35 minutes (3 sixes and 10 fours).
September 6: Glos v Northants: Procter scores 100* in 57 minutes (2 sixes and 15 fours).
92 in 35 minutes is something. Any idea how many balls?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
92 in 35 minutes is something. Any idea how many balls?
From this article: https://www.cricketcountry.com/arti...ainst-somerset-off-dennis-breakwell-30352/amp

There was no stopping Procter: in his next match, against Warwickshire at Bristol, he scored 92 in 35 minutes and 45 balls with 10 fours and three sixes (after scoring a commonplace 96 in the first innings). He was particularly harsh on off-spinner Christopher Clifford, who ended up with figures of 39-7-185-2, but made up for it by catching a Procter blinder one-handed at mid-wicket

(not sure how accurate since it was actually Brian Broad who scored 96 in the first innings, Procter only scored 28)