• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mick Lewis Tribute Thread

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
I didn't realise illicit drugs were sold over-the-counter in Toronto.
Not necessarily illicit. Simple pain killers in large does have quite a profound affect on the... ahhhhh...meh...

:eek: :lol: :wacko: :blink: :canadian:

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
The big question is:
Victoria have several first-rate bowlers in line for the Pura Cup Final.
They are:
Allan Wise, Shane Harwood, Dirk Nannes (Vermont pride :)), Gerard Denton and Mick Lewis.
Do you still play Lewis? I'd say yes, but are there any other thoughts? How deep do the cuts from being hit for 0/113 run?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
chooka_nick said:
The big question is:
Victoria have several first-rate bowlers in line for the Pura Cup Final.
They are:
Allan Wise, Shane Harwood, Dirk Nannes (Vermont pride :)), Gerard Denton and Mick Lewis.
Do you still play Lewis? I'd say yes, but are there any other thoughts? How deep do the cuts from being hit for 0/113 run?
He has always been a good performer at domestic level, so you have to say yes.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
luckyeddie said:
Tom Halsey certainly didn't appear to be having a go at Murali (even stated the direct opposite), but you (in 4 or 5 successive posts) seem to be over-defensive, to say the least.

Let's not have another Murali v Insert name here thread just yet.
I thought I made it clear in one of my subsequent posts to the one you quoted that I wasn't having a go at Tom Halsey per se, juz a lot of blokes here who were all happy to jump the gun and say stuff about Murali every time he had a bad day and are now acting as though doing the same with Lewis is a bad thing.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
sirjeremy11 said:
He has always been a good performer at domestic level, so you have to say yes.
mikeW said:
He'll play, i gaurantee it.
Yeah, fair enough. I was just looking for opinions, because there does seem to be an excessive amount of Lewis-bashing going on.
On the other hand, this response does indicate that Lewis is a respected domestic bowler. He might just have to stay that way.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
alternative said:
Don't understand why this thread deserves so much attention, when Murali got hammered by aussies in the VB series he didn't get a tribute thread... he still was a legend then.. BUT when Lewis gets hammered OMG its the end of australian cricket thing... all of the people should just give him a break.. he is an emerging cricketer.. not experienced like Murali..

Murali should be ashamed of that, and NOT Lewis as he is just going through the steps of gaining the international experience..

I felt SORRY for him, when his stats was shown in the big screen..
lol.... Murali should be ashamed of taking 400 ODI wickets? Lewis should be happy about a career economy rate of 7? BTW, if you read the first post of the thread, it is obvious that this thread was made after considering the guy's career so far, not just the last match.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Tom Halsey said:
You don't get it, do you?

I clearly stated that I thought it was rubbish that Murali was the 2nd worst ODI bowler ever.

However, by the thread-starter's standards he is. Murali was only brought up to prove that these standards are rubbish (in my mind anyway).
you don't get it either. The assumption was based on his whole career, not on the last game alone. Plus, I don't think he called Lewis the worst ODI bowler ever. And if he did, I don't agree with it. I have even seen Inzy bowl, so he is not the worst bowler ever. But it is obvious that he has been out of his depth so far in the ODIs he has played and it is possible that he may not be selected again for Australia for a while.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
Oh come on.

The thread is called the "Mick Lewis tribute thread", posted immediately after his 113 off 10. The first line mentions it, followed by a laughing smiley. If you don't think this thread is ridiculing Lewis for his poor performance, you must have blinkers on. It's massive spin to say the thread is about Mick Lewis struggling to maintain his place in the Australian side - it was about making fun of Lewis for conceding the most runs ever in an ODI and having a shocking start to his ODI career. That's fine if you want to make fun of him, but if Lewis warrants it, why not Murali?
because Murali has 400 ODI wickets.... So if say a Parthiv Patel gets a tribute thread, can I just walk in and point out the Ashes and say Gilchrist deserves to be made fun of too?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, having read the first post again, I have to say I am sorry to everyone here. I did get the wrong impression about the thread after reading the 3rd or 4th lines, really.

So first of all, I don't think this spell makes him the worst ODI bowler ever.

And secondly, I do think we can (And probably should) discuss whether he is good enough for ODIs at the moment... Seeing that there is no need for another thread, this thread is as good a place as any to discuss it really. I am genuinely interested why the selectors would prefer him to Gillespie or Kasper...

And thirdly, apologies to Tom Halsey, like I said earlier, I wasn't saying a lot of the Murali stuff to you, per se, but a few others who have all been rather anti-Murali in my time here at CW...

And fourthly, I still find it funny that most guys seem to take so much pains to state that Lewis wouldn't enjoy this and that you guys feel for him and yet the same almost never happened with Murali. And let's face it, he has copped it more than any international bowler I have seen in my cricket watching days.....

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
honestbharani said:
Well, having read the first post again, I have to say I am sorry to everyone here. I did get the wrong impression about the thread after reading the 3rd or 4th lines, really.
Respect :)
honestbharani said:
And secondly, I do think we can (And probably should) discuss whether he is good enough for ODIs at the moment... Seeing that there is no need for another thread, this thread is as good a place as any to discuss it really. I am genuinely interested why the selectors would prefer him to Gillespie or Kasper...
They did at this stage because he'd played a few series in a row. However, I honestly think they should cut him (the Victorian in my screams!) for either Gillespie or Bichel, to prepare for the World Cup.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
I thought I made it clear in one of my subsequent posts to the one you quoted that I wasn't having a go at Tom Halsey per se, juz a lot of blokes here who were all happy to jump the gun and say stuff about Murali every time he had a bad day and are now acting as though doing the same with Lewis is a bad thing.
I started reading the thread from where I'd previously left off, came across your comment and added my five pennyworth.

I certainly wasn't going to search through the thread in order to discover if you had retracted or qualified your statement - at the rate that you were piling the posts up on the subject, I felt that I was never going to reach the end. ;)

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
If his role in the Aussie team is reduced then it is better for us at Durham as as I said above, he was a real assest to us last season

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
You Durham boy's certainly know how to pick your Aussie quicks.
Lewis goes for 113 in an ODI and Tait had first class season figures of 18-0-176-0 for you.

Can any Australian recommend anyone else to take Durhams money
Hussey was great for us last year