• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mens Road Race.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
After the tour de france (TDF) i'm pumped for this event.

During the telecast of the time trial stages in the TDF, the commentator kept going on about how good a chance Rogers would be in the Olympics road race. But yet when i looked at the sportstab and centrebet prices he is listed at $67.

I'm going to put a lazy $10 on him and see what happens (They were talking like he would be one of the favs. for the event :wacko: ).

Craig

World Traveller
Jan Ullrich won gold last time, but I wonder how much of his very public spat with Walter Godefroot (T-Mobile DS - the team Ullrich rides for) has had an affect on his riding.

But there is no Lance Armstrong.

Andreas Kloden who came 2nd in the TdF this year did well in Sydney in 2000, so he might be a chance.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Haven't paid any attention to what the course is - but I'd expect it to be pretty flat (compared to any of the mountain stages in the Tour) so it's more than likely to come down to a sprint finish... which means McEwen, O'Grady, Hushovd, Boonen etc. are likely to be the major candidates.

Ullrich should take the time trial.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Rogers is in with a shout. Wouldn't count out good breakaway riders like Bettini, Arvesen, Voigt, Axel Merckx either, even though it's a flat stage. On a one-off, these riders are going to give it a serious go, much more than in the Tour where they have to save their energy for the big mountains. Even on a flat stage, if say three Italians are allowed to go with Bettini, that's big trouble for the peloton.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd be very surprised if the peloton allowed a breakaway to happen given that it's a one-off stage. Time to research what the course will look like...

As far as I can tell, it's a 13.2km course, with 12 laps, making 158.4km in total.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Right, that Licavitos is 6 per cent and 1.5 km, and you're going up 13 times? Perfect for breakaways. Long enough to get a decent lead without burning all your energy. It's not a case of allowing him to get away, it's a case of going as hard as you can to prevent his lead getting too big. Air resistance isn't that important on a mountainside, either, so the peloton don't have that much of an advantage. 159km is a laugh for an olympic course though...should be at least 190 IMO, this favours the sprinters too much.

Btw, Lance Armstrong won a similar course in the world champs eleven years ago. He was a bit different strength-wise and mind-wise, though.

Waughney

International Debutant
I can see a breakaway happening, if they can get over Lakavittos hill (on the last lap), they may be able to race home ahead of the pack.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Actually, the mens' road race is 222.7km - so they'll ride it 17 times, not 12 (makes a lot more sense, 158km is for wimps).

The Time Trial

Looks like a dead boring TT to me...three or four short climbs, 24km long - don't really know who that favours, but probably people without stamina. ;)

Craig

World Traveller
So it should be done in around thw 26/27 minute mark?

I will go with Neil and place Jan Ullrich as favourite. But Alexandre Vinokourov is competing so I will aslo back him for a podium finish.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
I'd be very surprised if the peloton allowed a breakaway to happen given that it's a one-off stage. Time to research what the course will look like...

As far as I can tell, it's a 13.2km course, with 12 laps, making 158.4km in total.
Having seen the course it was not something I would like to ride in when it is pouring down with rain.

And of course Paolo Bettini was somewhat surprisingly enough the gold medal winner.

A chance for you GB people out to possibly feel proud should Cooke win gold in the women's road race.

Cloete

International Captain
Serginho broke too early and Bettini wrapped him up. Marcx rode really well for his bronze, tore away from the pack and just stormed home. It was always going to be Bettini after he broke away on the climb, Serginho just doesn't have the experience or the class.

Craig

World Traveller
Has anybody seen how heavy Magnus Backstedt is?

I find it amazing that somebody who weights in at 98kg is still able to make it as a pro-cyclist.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Craig, whats the deal with Tyler Hamilton? After the first test came in positive the second one also was positive but was unuseable cause it was frozen :s, he has also tested positive in a test from the tour of Spain but gets to keep his gold medal....was to blood dopeing btw..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Interesting final time trial for the Tour of Spain today... very good effort from Santiago Pérez to get so close and win the stage.. but Heras held on for his third Vuelta title.