• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Meaningless and stupid cricket statistics

Victor Ian

International Coach
No. Wanker run is only > 150, like Sanga was prone to do. India's new opener is becoming somewhat of a wanker.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Alastair Cook (who is apparently still playing FC cricket, who knew?) has 74 FC tons, the most I think? of any current player. Pujara has 63, I’m not sure if any other current player has 50. I know Smith has 48, Kane and Root have 42 and Kohli is unsurprisingly the lowest with 36 (he’s played half the non-test FC matches the other 3 have)

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Alastair Cook (who is apparently still playing FC cricket, who knew?) has 74 FC tons, the most I think? of any current player. Pujara has 63, I’m not sure if any other current player has 50. I know Smith has 48, Kane and Root have 42 and Kohli is unsurprisingly the lowest with 36 (he’s played half the non-test FC matches the other 3 have)
I believe Cook stopped playing at the end of last summer. It was a fairly well publicized thing him playing for Essex though.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Of the 50 players who have made 100 or more dismissals as a keeper, 11 of them average 2 or more dismissals per innings. 10 of these have played exclusively in the 21st century, the other being Gilchrist.

Includes such keeping talent as Kamran Akmal and Jonny Bairstow.

Current keepers amongst this list include Joshua da Silva and Alex Carey at 4th and 5th respectively. (de Kock, Paine and Gilchrist being top 3)

The leading player who never played in the 21st century - David Richardson - ranks 2nd on catches to stumpings ratio.

Butler 130 catches 1 stumping
Richardson 150 catches 2 stumpings
Dujon 265 catches 5 stumpings

conversely we have

Oldfield 78 catches 52 stumpings
Kaluwitharna 93 catches 26 stumpings
Evans 173 catches 46 stumpings

Athlai

Not Terrible
Of all bowlers, Dan Vettori is the only player from a test playing nation who had a career economy rate under 6 for T20 Internationals

For more meaningless statistics, check out pretty much any T20I record list, including the fastest century recently hit.
Michael Bracewell also has an economy under 6 but I think they have used a cutoff of 20 matches and Macewell is at 16.

(15 Match cutoff, 15w min- and removing the shunt teams leaving top 16 T20I teams Nepal and up)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Styris is one of only 12 pace bowlers to achieve under 7 (min 15m/w)
Styris the noted "pace" bowler

Wasn't he bowling off-cutters for most of that time, when he wasn't serving up 115kph seam ups

extremely underrated cricketer though, doesn't get talked up enough. He was one of NZs best bats around the 2003 WC

Athlai

Not Terrible
Styris the noted "pace" bowler

Wasn't he bowling off-cutters for most of that time, when he wasn't serving up 115kph seam ups

extremely underrated cricketer though, doesn't get talked up enough. He was one of NZs best bats around the 2003 WC
The virus himself

mackembhoy

International Debutant

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
So, in the 1936/37 Ashes, both Australia and England won a test by an innings margin.

I’m curious, has this happened in the same series any other time?

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Pakistan's first 2 Tests (in a series against India in 1952) were an innings loss and an innings win.

Also happened in
WI v PK 1957-8
Eng v Aus 1965-6
Eng v WI in 1966 (which had 2 innings wins for WI, one for Eng)
Aus v WI 1984-5
Eng v WI 2000
SA v Eng 2009-10
Ind v SA 2010 (so SA drew consecutive series 1-1 with all 4 results by an innings)
Eng v Aus 2015
Eng v SA 2022

(I don't guarantee that this is all instances).

Last edited:

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
The 2015 Ashes series was most odd. After the first test, all of the others were decisive wins for one team or another with the result evident after the first day in each case.

On paper, 3-2 looks like a classic series however I can’t say that it was good quality test cricket.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
So I’ve seen lots of discussion in the past re: most runs without a century and most 50’s without a century.

So lets move over to the bowlers side.

Most wickets without a 5’fer.

Mike Hendrick, 30 tests 87 wickets @ 25.83 (also lowest average of any post-wwi bowler with 0 5’fers with more than 25 wickets)

Most 4’fers without a 5’fer

Wayne Clark, 10 tests 44 wickets @ 28.75, 7 4’fers (Hendrick has 5, Richard Hadlee’s brother Dayle also has 5)

In terms of current* players we have:

Mitchell Santer 26 matches, 53 wickets @ 39.24 (best figures 3/34)

Simon Harmer 10 matches, 39 wickets @ 27.56, 4 4’fers

Jomel Worrican 15 matches 46 wickets @ 36.41, 4 4’fers

*None of these players played in the most recent test series their team played but have all played within the last 13 months and haven’t retired afaik.