• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

lara vs tendulkar

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse said:
That is a more fair list but no way would I put them in that order.

on avrages yes (over what time period were these done) but on overall ability and batsmanship no.
Well those are subjective measurements, which can be debated ad infinitum. Objective measurements, like averages, can be, and in averages, for tests, Dravid beats Ponting. Ponting is a world-class batsman and without a doubt one of the best in the world, top 3 maybe, top 5 probably, top 10 most definitely, but Dravid is slightly better.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Lions81 said:
Based on what is Dravid not better?
Ok you certainly have a point other than Ponting being a better One Day batsman than Dravid there is not much to seperate them.

However it's obviouse Dravid does not have quite the same talent as Ponting I mean he cant play alot of the shots Ponting can and he cant hit the ball as cleanly or hard but does that make him less a batsman?

I dont know so I will retract that statment and say It's purely personal opinion as I have little facts to back up my statment 8-)

But pray tell if you think Dravid is the better batsman then why exactly??

Eclipse

International Debutant
Dravid may have an ever so slightly higher avrage than Ponting but Ponting has more 100s I beleive or though it must be fairly close by now havent cheeked in a while.

He also has a better conversion rate and considerably higher strike rate.

Dravid also has a higher avrage than Lara but it does not make him better.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse said:
Ok you certainly have a point other than Ponting being a better One Day batsman than Dravid there is not much to seperate them.

However it's obviouse Dravid does not have quite the same talent as Ponting I mean he cant play alot of the shots Ponting can and he cant hit the ball as cleanly or hard but does that make him less a batsman?

I dont know so I will retract that statment and say It's purely personal opinion as I have little facts to back up my statment 8-)

But pray tell if you think Dravid is the better batsman then why exactly??
The test average quickly approaching 60, the innings he's played under immense pressure (Kolkata vs. Australia, Adelaide in Australia, Rawalpindi in Pakistan), the five (?) recent double hundreds, and the most important fact...................

He's INDIAN!

But seriously, it's definitely a coin-toss between them, I don't think anyone can say one is unquestionably better than the other, my case is merely that Dravid is slightly better than Ponting, and as an Australian fan, I can see why you would say the opposite! I don't think any team could go wrong with either player though.

Sehwag309

Banned
Eclipse said:
And Similarly, Ponting does not have the defense technique like Dravid

Eclipse

International Debutant
Sehwag309 said:
And Similarly, Ponting does not have the defense technique like Dravid
True And I dont think anyone does really Dravid is bloody imposible to get out at time's.

Ponting will never be like that same with Lara they both have high backlifts and will take the risk of driving the ball on the rise much more than somone like Dravid or Kallis even Tendulkar ATM or though a few years ago he was the king or driving the ball on the rise.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
He also has a better conversion rate and considerably higher strike rate.
if ur rating batsman on basis of their strike rate then why not include shahid afridi in there too?
so tell me how many of those centuries has ponting made under pressure?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
if ur rating batsman on basis of their strike rate then why not include shahid afridi in there too?
so tell me how many of those centuries has ponting made under pressure?
:censored: :wallbash:

RMF

Cricket Spectator
There is no real way to tell if Lara or SRT is better using averages because of all the factors that make an average. ect.-team posistion when you get not outs,no. of innings theres so many :unsure:

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
RMF said:
There is no real way to tell if Lara or SRT is better using averages because of all the factors that make an average. ect.-team posistion when you get not outs,no. of innings theres so many :unsure:
That's why it's so fun to argue! If there was a real, objective way to tell, then it wouldn't be quite so long a discussion.

tooextracool

International Coach
if steve waugh were still playing...id rate him higher than both of these 2 simply because he was more reliable under pressure.
id rate lara above tendulkar any day of the week.

deeps

International 12th Man
tooextracool said:
if steve waugh were still playing...id rate him higher than both of these 2 simply because he was more reliable under pressure.
id rate lara above tendulkar any day of the week.
i totally agree! tendulkar is a brilliant one day batsman... but under test-conditions, i think most of his centuries were low pressure situations...and probably (not sure, just stabbing in dark) against lesser teams...

steve waugh, is wonderful under pressure...if ur team was 4/0;...you'd want steve out there...lara is also very good under pressure...he rises to the occasion, and can turn a match by himself...tendulkar is prolly the best to watch...his shots are magnificent, but he doesn't perform consistently under pressure of test match cricket, in a tough situation

in one dayers though, he is briliant

and dravid...he'd b the first player i pick in my world XI..test or ODI.. india WOULD NOT have made the final of the world cup without dravid...i dnot care wat ne1 else says, i saw all of india's games for myself...and the amount of times he steadid the ship for india....

dravid is not considerred brilliant, because he is very defensive...and doesn't usually turn a game on its head in a few hours of play ...just like steve waugh.... but cricket purists would understand that it's these gritty innings, that can actually win the game for u....sadly, one day cricket has jumbled everything now,and a batsman who makes 100 off 61 balls is more celebrated than one who makes 100 of 200 balls.... even though the latter was prolly doing it under pressure....

masterblaster

International Captain
Im just happy that this wonderful game of cricket has produced these wonderful batsmen who have all given me plenty of hours of enjoyment. Whether Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid or Ponting each has his own qualities, im glad that they all played in the same era - MY ERA, OUR ERA!