• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara a finals flop

Scallywag

Banned
Pinched this off another forum.

Brian Lara in his last 10 finals:

Mat I NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50 0

Last 10 ODI finals: 10 9 2 204 60* 35 31* 29.14 0 1 1

Thoughts

C_C

International Captain
actually not juts the last 10...
he's been a finals flop all over pretty much.

Been to sixteen finals, batted in fifteen of them,scored 500 runs at 31.25 with 1 ton and 2 fifties....

I think he is a decent pressure player but not in the same league as Steve Waugh,Allan Border, Sunil Gavaskar, etc. and a lot of his reputation is based on that legendary innings of 153*

PS: who are you on ICF ? i know Vic_orthodox used to post there for a while.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
You do realize that you are comparing ODI's and tests as the same thing??
In tests hes a GREAT pressure player. Not so in one dayers i guess.

C_C

International Captain
mmm
i dont think he is a great pressure player in tests.
He has a few pressure knocks i grant and is a good pressure player in tests....but not the grandaddy of pressure players as some make him to be.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
C_C said:
mmm
i dont think he is a great pressure player in tests.
He has a few pressure knocks i grant and is a good pressure player in tests....but not the grandaddy of pressure players as some make him to be.
Think about that for a second. How can he not be a great pressure player when hes performed so well in tests while being the teams backbone for well over a decade?
How many times has lara come in early when the windies are in trouble?

C_C

International Captain
Think about that for a second. How can he not be a great pressure player when hes performed so well in tests while being the teams backbone for well over a decade?
How many times has lara come in early when the windies are in trouble?
Well...when you play for such a hopeless team like the WI of the last 4-5 years, comming in at the wicket with the scores at 10/2 isnt really pressure.....you just do your best and go on with it.
Whats the pressure when you are starin down the barrel with snowball's chance in hell to win or draw ?
Pressure is when you can make or break the result.....

Lara, for all his toutings of pressure playing( i am not saying that he isnt a pressure player...he is a good pressure player in tests but not as good as some make him to be), fails more often than the likes of Waugh/Border/Gavaskar etc. when the match is on the line.

People remember his successes but dont really remember his failures....
its like for every pressure situation(where match result can be affected), lara comes in and flops like two-thirds of the time......he pulls off some blinders but i am not the kind to harp on successes and forget the failures...one must balance them to get the whole picture.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
C_C said:
Well...when you play for such a hopeless team like the WI of the last 4-5 years, comming in at the wicket with the scores at 10/2 isnt really pressure.....you just do your best and go on with it.
Whats the pressure when you are starin down the barrel with snowball's chance in hell to win or draw ?
Pressure is when you can make or break the result......
I dont understand your reasoning there. If the team sucks a bit, there is more pressure because there is still a chance for a win? but because windies suck so much it doesnt really matter anymore? lol
Why isnt there a snowballs chance of a win or draw at that stage? Its a test match, there is always pressure, and as captain its amplified.

C_C said:
Lara, for all his toutings of pressure playing( i am not saying that he isnt a pressure player...he is a good pressure player in tests but not as good as some make him to be), fails more often than the likes of Waugh/Border/Gavaskar etc. when the match is on the line.

People remember his successes but dont really remember his failures....
its like for every pressure situation(where match result can be affected), lara comes in and flops like two-thirds of the time......he pulls off some blinders but i am not the kind to harp on successes and forget the failures...one must balance them to get the whole picture.
Come up with some examples for waugh, border and gavasker. I bet i could beat you two to one with laras.

Scallywag

Banned
Just had a look at Ponting in grand finals.

A pretty impressive record

M--runs--hs----ave
28 1017 140* 44.21

A champion of champions.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
Just had a look at Ponting in grand finals.

A pretty impressive record

M--runs--hs----ave
28 1017 140* 44.21

A champion of champions.
Just because its a final doesnt automatically mean there is pressure. How can ponting be under pressure in that australian side?
He comes in at 1/100 after the bowlers have been demoralized by hayden and gilchrist.

Scallywag

Banned
Arrow said:
Just because its a final doesnt automatically mean there is pressure. How can ponting be under pressure in that australian side?
He comes in at 1/100 after the bowlers have been demoralized by hayden and gilchrist.
Pardon!

Who mentioned pressure?

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I mean why post pontings record here? You must be implying he excells under pressure.
I actually think he does but i dont beleive hes under nearly the same amount as lara.

Scallywag

Banned
Arrow said:
I mean why post pontings record here? You must be implying he excells under pressure.
I actually think he does but i dont beleive hes under nearly the same amount as lara.
Every player that walks out onto the field is playing under pressure, just because your team is 1/100 you are still under as much pressure as you would be if they were 1/10 because you still need to score runs against the bowlers. Most people would think a winning team is under more pressure to keep winning than a team that normally would not be expected to win. So I'm not really interested in discussing who is under more pressure, as far as I'm concerned every player is under pressure.

And why did I post Pontings stats,

guess who posted "Come up with some examples for waugh, border and gavasker. I bet i could beat you two to one with laras." so I gave Pontings.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
Every player that walks out onto the field is playing under pressure, just because your team is 1/100 you are still under as much pressure as you would be if they were 1/10 because you still need to score runs against the bowlers. Most people would think a winning team is under more pressure to keep winning than a team that normally would not be expected to win. So I'm not really interested in discussing who is under more pressure, as far as I'm concerned every player is under pressure..
Your totally wrong there. There is more risk of failure at 1/10 than 1/100 is there not?? How can there not be more pressure?
Its like saying there is no more fear getting a loaded gun pointed at you than an empty one.

Scallywag said:
And why did I post Pontings stats,

guess who posted "Come up with some examples for waugh, border and gavasker. I bet i could beat you two to one with laras." so I gave Pontings.
So you conceeded the challenge. Thats fair enough, but im sure we were talking about test pressure not one day.

Scallywag

Banned
Arrow said:
Your totally wrong there. There is more risk of failure at 1/10 than 1/100 is there not?? How can there not be more pressure?
Its like saying there is no more fear getting a loaded gun pointed at you than an empty one..
Not really when you come in you are allways on a duck regardless of the team score.

Arrow said:
So you conceeded the challenge. Thats fair enough, but im sure we were talking about test pressure not one day.
Finals in test matches, thats a new one for me.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
Finals in test matches, thats a new one for me.
Maybe you missed my first post when i said lara wasnt that good in OD finals but was great in test pressure situations.

Scallywag

Banned
Arrow said:
Maybe you missed my first post when i said lara wasnt that good in OD finals but was great in test pressure situations.
So what you would be saying is a batsman who gets a good score in a loosing team is better than a batsman who gets a good score in a winning team when in fact they both just got a good score.

Pressure is a sign of a bad player because a good player will not put himself under pressure and just play his natural game regardless of the situation.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why do people presume that there is only pressure in deciders and finals? So there's no pressure in the first test match? I'll bet out of all matches in the ODI series between Pakistan and India last year, players were most under the pump in the 1st one-dayer. Even more so than the 5th, the decider (although that is debateable).