• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumble calls it a day!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A bit of a shame he's had to retire mid-series due to injury, especially as (like Ganguly) I'd have liked to have seen him line-up against England. However, in the end it's probably just a few matches and a month or two premature.

And of course, as has already been said, a truly excellent bowler who deserves to be remembered as one of India's best. Well played on a superb career.

Matt79

Global Moderator
One of the true greats of cricket. Amazing fight and amazing control of the ball. One suspects India will find him no easier to replace than Australia has Warne or McGrath, or WIs have Lara... Truly someone who achieved the most out of their potential in their career, and can walk off the field with head held high, knowing they left it all out on the park.

More than that, he also seemed a remarkably rounded, intelligent and somewhat wise human being who always conducted himself with an enormous amount of class on and off the field. There's a fantastic tribute by Rahul Dravid from 2005 that Cricinfo have reposted on their front page that certainly makes clear the esteem his teammates hold him in.

All the best in whatever he tackles next - maybe we can get him out to Australia to help train up some young spinners?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm really surprised how many people think this is the perfect time to retire. The perfect season? The perfect calender-year? Maybe, sure - I'd be quite happy to see him retired before 2008 is out. But it's such a shame to see someone have to retire midway through a home season, never mind mid-series.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
Sad to see Kumble retire as well now.....Would have been ideal if he got to play the last match. His been a champion and legend :)
i might get depressed watching cricket when there's no Kumble, Sachin, Ganguly, Dravid and Laxman in the team. Grown up with these guys being integral part of the team. Can't imagine the test team without these guys.

Precambrian

Banned
I'm really surprised how many people think this is the perfect time to retire. The perfect season? The perfect calender-year? Maybe, sure - I'd be quite happy to see him retired before 2008 is out. But it's such a shame to see someone have to retire midway through a home season, never mind mid-series.
Inevitable, because the injury was far too serious, for him to commit to the Nagpur test.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kumble was such a great player, and I'm so happy he got to captain his country. 3rd greatest wicket taker in the game and has done well in Australia. Great career.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad to see him retire before the end of the series, but in hindsight, it was probably the right decision. Excellent career.
Farewell.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Inevitable, because the injury was far too serious, for him to commit to the Nagpur test.
Inevitable - the point is that it's always rather a sadness (IMO) when a player's hastened into retirement by injury. So much better to walk off at the end of a series, or better still of a season (ideally a home one) with a body in good shape and feeling you're breezing into the sunset rather than being stretchered into your pension.

Precambrian

Banned
Inevitable - the point is that it's always rather a sadness (IMO) when a player's hastened into retirement by injury. So much better to walk off at the end of a series, or better still of a season (ideally a home one) with a body in good shape and feeling you're breezing into the sunset rather than being stretchered into your pension.
This is the first year he has really underperformed in ages. So always there is the feeling that he could be able to comeback and have a last shot. Unfortunately it never happened.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
This is the first year he has really underperformed in ages. So always there is the feeling that he could be able to comeback and have a last shot. Unfortunately it never happened.
Yea, his decline is pretty similar to Gillespie i that you didn't see it coming. After the last series in Australia i reckoned he could have played until 40.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
An outstanding matchwinner for india, more than tendulkar.Grew up watching him from the very first over he bowled in international cricket with spectacles.
Deserve the most praise for the way he conducted on and off the field. What a champion. India has lost a legend , just similar to shane warne.The void will be very very hard to fill for team india.
Hope you see you again kumble as a selector in near future and grooming future indian spinners. Good luck.

Precambrian

Banned
An outstanding matchwinner for india, more than tendulkar.Grew up watching him from the very first over he bowled in international cricket with spectacles.
Deserve the most praise for the way he conducted on and off the field. What a champion. India has lost a legend , just similar to shane warne.The void will be very very hard to fill for team india.
Hope you see you again kumble as a selector in near future and grooming future indian spinners. Good luck.
Can't see how you can compare batsman with bowler.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Can't see how you can compare batsman with bowler.
Eventhough they have different skillsets, both are playing for india only. But neverthless, the record,evidence and statistics will always point kumble as the greatest matchwinner for india than tendulkar , unless somebody in near future comes up with better performances.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
How can a batsman be a matchwinner? Batsmen set up matches. bowlers win them.
Not really.Could also be the other way around. Bowlers not bowling that well and and batsman playing really well while chasing to win matches.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
Not really.Could also be the other way around. Bowlers not bowling that well and and batsman playing really well while chasing to win matches.
How can that be possible in a test match? Without the bowlers taking 20 wickets, (unless a sporting declaration from the other side, extremely rare), it is not possible for batsmen to win it any way.