• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kippax's Firebirds and Wellington Club Cricket Thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Second new ball and inwards shape does the trick. Durham probably won't bat again here so Young's next knock will be in NZ warm-ups. 170 runs @ 34 for Durham.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not bad given he's not an opener. But that front-pad issue is serious-meme territory now.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes he doesn't look too willing to do anything that feels really weird (or might make his scores slightly worse before they get better) with that little foot shuffle/transfer of weight towards the covers move.

I think he's just going to do the Sinclair thing of taking some heart in the fact that a less demanding examination is never going to be more than two or three games down the line.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I don't think any batsman is 100% perfect. There are always that one particular ball or area every batsman is vulnerable at. Some against short stuff, some play too square, some may struggle on the front foot in general, some on the back foot and the list goes on. The point is most at that level manage it. They can't get rid of it but they manage it. Devon Conway doesn't transfer the weight as much when driving but his hands do a very good job, he struggles when bowled at his hip but he just tucks it for one and waits for bowlers to bowl in other areas. Not all bowlers can sustain bowling long enough with accuracy even if they spot a weakness in the batter.

Sure Will Young may be more susceptible to an in coming ball but some bowlers may not have the ability to bring the ball in sharply and may not land full enough for long enough. It's not like Young will get out to the first innie that's bowled at him.

The encouraging fact is he face nearly 300 balls... that is a lot of balls to face in an inning. That after not having had good scores earlier which shows he knows to fight it out. Shows he has character, temperament and ability to not let the recent failures affect him. This knock should have him primed for the test matches. Hope they pick him in the xi

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Completely disagree with all of that re: Young.

Put me down as predicting his very cruisy helmsmanship straight into the iceberg of a sub-30 average in Tests.

nzfan

Completely disagree with all of that re: Young.

Put me down as predicting his very cruisy helmsmanship straight into the iceberg of a sub-30 average in Tests.
Only time can tell... I predict him to have a good healthy test career. Likely good enough for 6-8 years given he has good technique barring what is perceived as not as effective vs innies. We'll mostly be playing under testing conditions most of the times so predict him to be 40+ average player in test cricket.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Only time can tell... I predict him to have a good healthy test career. Likely good enough for 6-8 years given he has good technique barring what is perceived as not as effective vs innies. We'll mostly be playing under testing conditions most of the times so predict him to be 40+ average player in test cricket.
Feel like playing under testing conditions most of the time would do the opposite of that unless your name is Kane or Smith.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Well we do play a lot more vs. Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, also Latham averages 42, despite no contingent of fans around the world really admiring him too much or being scared of him.

"Young would be a good chance to average 50 if he was an Australian, but he'll do 40-45 as a Kiwi" is essentially what he's saying.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I don't know many people who wouldn't have Latham in their current world XI.

Will Young is probably a better player than the Jamie How / Peter Fulton / Michael Papps / Daniel Flynn era of fringe batsmen who never could do it at test level. But he's certainly no Kane/Rosco. I think if he can average 40 and make consistent runs against decent teams it'll be a success. He'll never average 50.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No, cricket people outside Canterbury (or Hendrix here on CW) just don't enjoy Latham's cricket all that much. Even in England's Canterbury you could mention his name down at a cricket club and people just couldn't put a signature shot to the name very well.

I actually keep hoping an English county will give me a top-order man of ours (other than Rutherford) to watch over the NZ winter, but it doesn't often happen.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Feels a little flawed to use career stats, he did have a poor Aus series, but as did our entire batting order sans Blundell. Hasn't played vs SA for 4 years and performed well against both England and India on the recent home series. Not that our 2 test series gives a great sample size :(

Batted well over in SL which can be a tough spot for us, though did poorly against Pakistan in the UAE.

He does have something to prove I think, I feel that way against a lot of players. Williamson has a pretty poor record against top teams as well, but my theory is that's a lack of opportunity more than anything.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Just scrapbooking the two T20 tons and 25 sixes in a day for Tim Robinson. Five 50s in seven knocks and top runscorer at the U19 national tourney in 2020/21.

Last edited:

nzfan

And he scored big runs for Wellington A as well last year. Talked about at the next white ball player for firebirds.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Change of innings in the T20 Cup final. Lauchie Johns has giving Raki Weerasundara's little brother (a successful Wellington College seamer) a very rough start to his Johnsonville career.

Tim Robinson (Onslow) made another 50 out of a modest team total of 142 in this morning's semi.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Johnsonville 73/8. Vishvaka, Severin and Raki had to swing from ball one but couldn't put up any challenge to the Easts 244 or Johns 149.

Just looking at the overall batting and bowling charts before they're finalised, it looks like Robinson and Johns will surpass 350 runs for this little comp and be a clearcut top two in the batting. Felix Murray with 17 wickets to top the bowling.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim Robinson came down from Auckland last year. He seems like a real gun.
Part of a Hunterville farming family (with a brother pursuing a career in non-cricket agribusiness) I thought.

The school finished for the year, what does a national champion javelin thrower get up to in the following days? “I’m off shearing for a few days at the family farm up in Hunterville,” says Cam.

Robinson has been plagued by a back injury and has remodeled his action.

“It’s been hard work so I was pretty happy with the way I bowled. My back didn’t give me any major hassles throughout the week.”

In addition to cricket Robinson is a leading javelin thrower, having won the intermediate title at the National Secondary Schools Championships in 2017. He was fifth in the senior grade this year behind his champion brother Cam Robinson, who will study business agriculture while training at Massey University in Palmerston North next year. Tim is one of three First XI players to return to school in 2019.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A stream from last month. Haven't watched it, but it's Tim Robinson (right-hander, No. 7 on his back) trying to get Onslow off to a flyer vs. Lennox and Leopard in the first 30 minutes or so of action.

Last edited: