• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jos Buttler - England's greatest ever?

Kirkut

International Regular
Buttler is easily the greatest ODI cricketer of all time.
He’s Tendulkar and Gilchrist rolled into one and has nice hair.
Really? He's actually that good?

To me he's probably the first English born explosive batsman to play for his country, otherwise most explosive bats who played for England came either from South Africa or NZ (Keiswetter, KP, Stokes and etc.)

sunilz

International Regular
Really? He's actually that good?

To me he's probably the first English born explosive batsman to play for his country, otherwise most explosive bats who played for England came either from South Africa or NZ (Keiswetter, KP, Stokes and etc.)
His current ICC rank is 17 . That is enough to overtake Tendulkar and Gilchrist imo. He will overtake Dhoni and Bevan when he gets his ICC ranking above 15.

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
this is crazy talk really is....the guy is class yeah, but greatest ODI cricketer goes to Kohli IMO....He's up there with Gilchrist yes

Howe_zat

Audio File
Buttler probably underperformed this WC given his talent and the level at which he has been performing over the past few years. My opinion on him has changed after his performances in the last two IPL seasons - I get the feeling that he would average significantly more if he was batting higher in the order and was allowed more time to build his innings. In fact, his ODI record by batting position indicates as much - much better averages and SRs at 4/5 vs 6. To some extent, it is a curse to be as versatile a player as he is.
His record at 4/5 is what it is because if England send him in early they're doing well.

Flem274*

123/5
buttler is a freak. he suffers in these comparisons because he's still mid-career but when he's done i wouldn't be surprised to see him alongside gilchrist and dhoni.

he's definitely the batsman im most scared of in the english side, and there's a few good ones there. in the cancelled final he was the only guy able to tick along at a good rate with no risk. he's got that annoying cdg/jadeja ability to time the ball well on any pitch but he's also got the root/kane/ross match intelligence to control the innings and read the pitch and not do anything stupid.

he's ****in annoying and i hope wagner knocks his head off this summer.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's a great batsman but his keeping is a lot sloppier than Dhoni/ Gilchrist. He could force his way into an ATXI for his batting alone though if he keeps this up. 40@120 is an utterly insane record.

Burner

International Regular
A few more years of playing the way he has been playing and he'll eclipse Dhoni. His keeping is very incognito though which I guess is not a bad thing.

He's already a better batsman than Gilchrist imo. Ezplosive opening batsmen are dime a dozen now, but how many can do what Buttler does down the order?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Think he had a good world cup with the gloves.

I don't think it's a question that he is England's best ever ODI player. We've never had another one day cricketer that every other side in the world would love to have. This is a new thing.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Buttler at his best is one of those players like ABdV and in-form Gayle who can hit boundaries out of nowhere at will.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

I don't think it's a question that he is England's best ever ODI player. We've never had another one day cricketer that every other side in the world would love to have. This is a new thing.
Flintoff, KP and Root are the only others I can think of that might fit this category.

trundler

Before this current lot came around Lamb or Fairbrother would've been their best bat so that's pretty telling.

trundler

Yeah, I rate both. Underrated guns. Behind Tendulkar, Miandad, Jones, Crowe, Ponting etc though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Flintoff & Pietersen

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There are plenty of players who would not have been wanted by everyother side in the world, but who would have been wanted by most other sides imo.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
As utterly amazing as Jos Buttler is, he's not even the best in this current England side.