• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Dyson's catch

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dyson's catch was special but it's tough to beat Steve Waugh's to catch Roger Harper in 1989. It wasn't a blind reflex catch where the result was largely luck, it was an enormous test of a combination of fielding techniques. For those who didn't see it, the ball was hit high to mid-off, Steve Waugh turned and ran from inside the 30m circle and with the ball coming over his shoulder (probably the toughest type of catch) and he was sprinting towards the fence with his neck craned upwards looking at the ball. So he had no idea how close the fence was getting and in addition to that he had Merv on the fence running in to the ball to worry about as well as the sight-screen which was inside the fence. Phenomenal catch. The fact that the Aussies had dropped everything to that point made it a damn miracle!

There will always be blinders with full-stretch dives that stick every season but I have a feeling I won't see a catch like that for a long time.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
If he was positioned better it would have been less spectacular.

I think that Martyn's off Pietersen at Lord's last summer was better.

Swervy

International Captain
the thing about Dyson catch was that it wasnt such a given that people really chucked themselves around the outfield even just 25 years ago, in the way we expect these days.

At the time, I had never seen anything like it, and the great thing about it is there is no luck involved, his eyes are on the ball all the way.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Husseys in that odi was much better imo. And that one strauss took atb 2nd slip during the ashes was awesome, just because it was so far away from him he had to take it in his fingertips.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Does youtube have a video of the Jonty Rhodes catch?

I can't remember the details, but it was the one that he caught with the ends of his fingers the looked amazing.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
How about the one rhodes caught where he droped it and turned round and caught the rebound, that was something special, although he should have done better in the first place