• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis vs Jacques Cousteau

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Two Jacques, born thousand of kilometres apart but both pioneers in their own fields. I mean, what are the chances!?

Essentially what this thread focuses on is the 'what ifs' of this situation:

- what if Jacques Kallis had been born in France and Cousteau in South Africa. Would the latter still have become a world-renowned oceanographer whilst the former became a truly brilliant cricketer with no team to play for, until he was lured across the channel at the age of 25 and told he was now English?

- or would Cousteau have become a brilliant South African cricketer and Kallis the oceanographer? I could see Cousteau filling out on meals of boerewors and biltong, becoming a stocky all-rounder who bowls fast-mediums and clatters it all over the ground. He'd be particularly adept at sledging players in a language he invented that is a mix of French (from his father's side) and Afrikaans.

Meanwhile, Kallis, who was initially thought to be a dugong, makes amazing finds under the water.

- How would their lives have changed if they were named 'Jacques Jacques' and 'Kallis Cousteau'? I mean, we'll never know, but I reckon there should be some sort of experiment done (like the 7 series) to see how people's lives are changed by their names.

Anyway, I'm going to finish by adding a short snippet of the song that inspired this thread, and I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on this.

'Two Jacques" by Phil Collins

Two Jacques, believing in just one mind
Beating together 'til the end of time
You know we're two Jacques, believing in just one mind
Together forever 'til the end of time

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
that said if you wanted to be a famous oceanographer, it would definitely help if you were also a dugong