• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Viv Richards an Overrated Test Batsman?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If you say the same about Bangladesh, I agree. The test status given to them was a bit premature and they were not test class at all at that point of time. Current new test teams, Ireland and Afghanistan, would have beaten them easily.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I mean 90s Zim were clearly the worst side of the test nations, but they were still competitive. There is a spot between being BD in 00s level of bad and what they were but again, they were clearly the worst of the test sides, esp. in tests.

My point basically is, yes, you can have an asterisk about performances against Zim in the 96-99 period but it can't be the same asterisk as the one you put against the BD/Zim of 00s or Zim of 92-96.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean 90s Zim were clearly the worst side of the test nations, but they were still competitive. There is a spot between being BD in 00s level of bad and what they were but again, they were clearly the worst of the test sides, esp. in tests.

My point basically is, yes, you can have an asterisk about performances against Zim in the 96-99 period but it can't be the same asterisk as the one you put against the BD/Zim of 00s or Zim of 92-96.
Yes, and my point is, we have always had test nations at the level of Zim 96-99 throughout test history, be it India initially, Srilanka later and then Zim-BD-Afg-Ireland and England throughout the 100+ years. So, it gets very complicated if we start dwelling into the stats that way.

subshakerz

International Coach

I can concede on the 90s Zimbabwe. 2001 onwards we agree shouldn't be counted.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes, and my point is, we have always had test nations at the level of Zim 96-99 throughout test history, be it India initially, Srilanka later and then Zim-BD-Afg-Ireland and England throughout the 100+ years. So, it gets very complicated if we start dwelling into the stats that way.
Not really, if you wanna bundle those nations under the same category. But I guess we are basically agreeing with each other. :)

The real shame is that glory generation did not continue for Zim. :(

Streak, Blignaut, Olonga, Strangs, Whittalls, Flowers, Johnson, Goodwin was a good side who would have been competitive everywhere. Perhaps more in ODIs than Tests but really competitive any which way you look at it.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really, if you wanna bundle those nations under the same category. But I guess we are basically agreeing with each other. :)

The real shame is that glory generation did not continue for Zim. :(

Streak, Blignaut, Olonga, Strangs, Whittalls, Flowers, Johnson, Goodwin was a good side who would have been competitive everywhere. Perhaps more in ODIs than Tests but really competitive any which way you look at it.
They do. Zimbabwe team of 96-99 has a better record than India in 40s and Srilanka in 80s. But like you said, we are both agreeing on the same broader point :)

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Click on something about Viv Richards hoping to discuss the Master Blaster, but just see posts about the Zimbabwean team of the late 90s.

Just another CW thread that goes off a tangent I guess.
Became Viv vs Sachin, then Sachin vs Lara and then Lara fan boys started removing Zimbabwe stats to big him up post which it was all about Zimbabwe.

That's the storyline for you ?

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Bradman
Sachin
Viv
Hobbs/Smith
Sobers

Thats my ranking. Smith to be number 2 probably by the end of his career. Always feel sometimes(only on CW tho) Sobers gets overrated as a bat(to being 2nd best after Bradman as a bat) due to his peak of averaging 71 for a decade or, and Viv to the same extent underrated. Yes it is true that Sobers never faced a late career slump like Viv, had also had a great short term peak, while having a way better longer term peak than Viv. But while the long term peak was better than Viv’s it still gets slightly overrated since Sobers matches were spread out widely over the years(he may have averaged 60 or more for the same number of years as Sachin, but for one third the number of matches), and Viv’s short term peak statistically was even better, and even crazier considering the era he batted in, the bowlers he faced and most of those runs in his peak were scored on away pitches. Sober’s era was clearly better to bat in than Viv’s especially, but also than Hobbs, the first half(or more) of Sachin’s career, the second half of Smith’s career. Plus Viv scored much faster than Sobers, and Sobers did a lot of minnow bashing. I also find Viv’s home/away record more complete(due to Sobers sucking in NZ and barely playing in Pak). Viv’s psychological dominance over the bowlers is another fact in his favour as well.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Bradman
Sachin
Viv
Hobbs/Smith
Sobers

Thats my ranking. Smith to be number 2 probably by the end of his career. Always feel sometimes(only on CW tho) Sobers gets overrated as a bat(to being 2nd best after Bradman as a bat) due to his peak of averaging 71 for a decade or, and Viv to the same extent underrated. Yes it is true that Sobers never faced a late career slump like Viv, had also had a great short term peak, while having a way better longer term peak than Viv. But while the long term peak was better than Viv’s it still gets slightly overrated since Sobers matches were spread out widely over the years(he may have averaged 60 or more for the same number of years as Sachin, but for one third the number of matches), and Viv’s short term peak statistically was even better, and even crazier considering the era he batted in, the bowlers he faced and most of those runs in his peak were scored on away pitches. Sober’s era was clearly better to bat in than Viv’s especially, but also than Hobbs, the first half(or more) of Sachin’s career, the second half of Smith’s career. Plus Viv scored much faster than Sobers, and Sobers did a lot of minnow bashing. I also find Viv’s home/away record more complete(due to Sobers sucking in NZ and barely playing in Pak). Viv’s psychological dominance over the bowlers is another fact in his favour as well.
Viv also dominated some of best bowlers of all time.