• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Maxwell better than Kohli? Analysing strike rate vs average in ODIs

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
RPI helps openers and punishes middle order hitters.

Funnily enough it's often used too criticise Bevan, but Bevan has the highest rpi batting at 6 by a long way.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doesn't RPI equally penalize the batsman who come in during the final 5 overs?
Using RPI instead of average to judge a player would be like being 1-10 chasing 300 in an ODI and choosing Maxwell to bat for you instead of Kohli. Pure idiocy.

mr_mister

Using RPI instead of average to judge a player would be like being 1-10 chasing 300 in an ODI and choosing Maxwell to bat for you instead of Kohli. Pure idiocy.
Could use Maxi as a pinch hitter. I assume the field would still be up ;)

Burner

International Regular
Which is almost the exact same difference between de Villiers and Sangakkara in that same rating system.
Heh I don't think that example does your argument any good because Sangakkara is in fact a country mile behind De Villiers.

mr_mister

Would we say Steve Waugh was a moderate upgrade over Mark in tests and vice versa in ODIs? Now would we allow Sachin to be considered only a moderate upgrade over Steve in tests?

And would we say the gap between Steve and Mark in ODIs is the same as Sachin and Mark?

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Jayasuriya is really hard to rate because he was such a different player before his breakout 96 WC. And the period before was 7 years of him being pretty dreadful over a large sample size.

I know there's other players like this who improved after their role in the side changed but he's the most extreme example. Only averaged early 30s overall but got 28 tons lol. The other players who scored 25+ tons all averaged over 40. Pretty damn ridiculous, and of course his strike rate was explosive in 96

Not saying hes neccesarily better than Ponting but I wouldn't scoff at the suggestion
You are quite right. I never bothered to split Jayasuirya's record into stages. Always rated Jayasuriya low as batsman because of his low average but high enough as an all-rounder. Turns out I was a bit wrong. Since start of 1996 world cup until end of his career in 2011, he averaged 36 at SR of 94 in a total of 346 matches. Before that he averaged just 19 at SR of 74 in 99 matches!

mr_mister

You are quite right. I never bothered to split Jayasuirya's record into stages. Always rated Jayasuriya low as batsman because of his low average but high enough as an all-rounder. Turns out I was a bit wrong. Since start of 1996 world cup until end of his career in 2011, he averaged 36 at SR of 94 in a total of 346 matches. Before that he averaged just 19 at SR of 74 in 99 matches!
Yeah. Was lucky to be even given the opportunity to do what he did in the 96 cup, he wasn't exactly a young rookie given a license, he was a failing veteran probably on his last chance. Man he had a long career.

Flem274*

123/5
Mind you, ODI stats are useless anyway, so have at it
i've seen you post this several times with no further comment. at first glance your opinion is richard-esque in both it's dismissiveness and ample room provided for you to argue according to your own biases, so how have you come to this conclusion?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i've seen you post this several times with no further comment. at first glance your opinion is richard-esque in both it's dismissiveness and ample room provided for you to argue according to your own biases, so how have you come to this conclusion?
He’s just sore that PH Spark never came good in the Horrigan Cup