• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

• Total voters

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
So easy to pick holes in this:

Name a seamer in the past who could even contemplate 20 Tests a year (it's not that many in general anyway). He's averaging about 10 a year since becoming a regular. Even that amount has proven way too many for most - let alone doing it for 16 years.

No life? He's a single figure golf handicap, is part of the most successful cricket podcast on these shores and regularly watches Burnley play football (not to mention the wife and kids). Think he's quite into his music too.

700 wickets - read 'em and weep.
Would Cook be an ATG if he’d played til the last Ashes?

Molehill

International Captain
You're inferring what you want to hear, I never said he wasn't good at ODIs. I thought the point, which you seem to concur with here, was obvious but turns out I can still be surprised.
I hear you clearly, I just don't think the retiring from ODI's thing can really be backed up when he's been playing them for 13 years and is his country's leading wicket taker in that form too.

McGrath 14 years, Vaas 14 years, Lee 12 years, Donald 12 years, Waqar 14 years. Anderson's 13 year ODI career is very much the norm amongst seam bowlers, the difference is he's played 84 Tests since and taken 301 wickets at 22.75.

It's utterly mindboggling when you consider that since retiring from being the 21st leading wicket taker in all ODI's, he has a greater return than Pat Cummins entire Test career.

The irony is, that the more you highlight his ODI career, the more awesome his Test career since seems.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
5h highest run scorer in history, the only opener in the Top 10, won series in India (key metric apparently) and Australia (in which he was at his undoubted best). Who says he's not an ATG?
I’d say quite a lot of people on the forum.

Molehill

International Captain
I’d say quite a lot of people on the forum.
You could turn it round the other way though, if he had retired in 2012 after winning in India, an average of 50 and career defining wins in Aus and India, would he be an ATG?

You actually have to get to when Anderson is older than 40 before you question whether he should've retired.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You could turn it round the other way though, if he had retired in 2012 after winning in India, an average of 50 and career defining wins in Aus and India, would he be an ATG?
He'd only have played like 6 years at that point , so for me, no way.

However, to people who foolishly deny longevity matters, this is an excellent question.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

You actually have to get to when Anderson is older than 40 before you question whether he should've retired.
Nah Anderson should’ve retired after his best series vs Australia too.

Chin Music

State 12th Man

I put on another thread the other day that you had 3 years of prime Cook, between his ton in the Pakistan home series of 2010 to the end of the New Zealand home series in 2013 when he had a stellar career. His career apart from that is down in the low 40s either side. It is about 42. Cook is clearly an England great, but not a world all time great. I put Anderson a tier higher as a player than Cook but still not one of the best bowlers I have watched.

Last edited:

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Walsh would have had a better career than Jimmy if he were English, possibly. Jimmy gets some credit for actually doing it vs hypotheticals (although we did see late career Walsh being devastating), and while he has greatly improved his average and strike rate on the whole, he’s also below a low wicket ticker - particularly in the last few years. But even during that “peak” he’s not taking insane hauls like some of the ATGs have. And he’s not really had much competition either to “share the wickets”

Molehill

International Captain
Walsh would have had a better career than Jimmy if he were English, possibly. Jimmy gets some credit for actually doing it vs hypotheticals (although we did see late career Walsh being devastating), and while he has greatly improved his average and strike rate on the whole, he’s also below a low wicket ticker - particularly in the last few years. But even during that “peak” he’s not taking insane hauls like some of the ATGs have. And he’s not really had much competition either to “share the wickets”
Are you talking about Anderson or Walsh?

Molehill

International Captain
Seeing as late career Walsh actually took wickets at a decent rate per match, I’m talking about Anderson
Just didn't understand your point about not really having much competition - I mean Broad took more wickets off him than McGrath took off Warne!

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Just didn't understand your point about not really having much competition - I mean Broad took more wickets off him than McGrath took off Warne!
I mean, if you’re talking about raw numbers yes, barely, but thats because they played 34 more matches together.

Socerer 01

International Captain
His last ODI was in 2015 ffs. Literally gone 9 years with nothing but Tests to focus on. Of course it's going to help with his lOnGeViTy. How you miss the point this badly
there have been plenty of test only bowlers and bowlers who predominantly played tests who have had shorter careers and achieved less, if it was that easy then we would have more Anderson like bowlers out there

at this point you’re refusing to acknowledge what is being said and going lalalalala as usual to keep the drama going on like a troll