• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it bad...

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dopped catches should be deducted from the fielder IMO. Say Glenn Maxwell makes 140, then if Maxwell drops Kohli when he's on 23, and Kohli ends up making 130, Maxwell's score should be reduced to 33.

a massive zebra

International Captain
In Test/FC cricket not really, but it's usually why some seemingly aggressive batsmen who succeed in Tests don't perform in ODIs, which was usually Richard's point. Players like Vaughan and Slater weren't just quirky flukes; their boundary reliance made them unsuited to ODI cricket.
Wouldn't you say Chris Gayle is boundary reliant? He has certainly succeded in both Tests and ODIs, although I guess his inability to rotate strike is one reason why his strike rate is not as high as one might expect given his amazing power.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wouldn't you say Chris Gayle is boundary reliant? He has certainly succeded in both Tests and ODIs, although I guess his inability to rotate strike is one reason why his strike rate is not as high as one might expect given his amazing power.
Yeah I covered this in follow up posts. "Boundary reliant" is an imperfect description of the problem at hand given players like Gayle who hit a lot of boundaries in the air.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gayle used to run much better between the wickets when he was younger. Since the 2010s he's pretty much just been a slogger.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Wonder if Amla is a good example of this type of thinking. He is a fantastic LO opener, but is reliant on piercing the gap when the field is in to score quick runs early on. Later on he could rotate strike but his boundaries dried up and his SR tended to drop. And you did not want to see him at the end of the innings when big hitting was needed.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This is a good thread. Further showing my prowess as the greatest cricket poster (and poster in general) on the forum.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think this thread can be put in a new light now, given that World Cups can be decided by number of boundaries hit. Guess being boundary reliant can be a very important thing, hitting lots of 1s and 2s loses you World Cups.