• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is cricket Religion in India??

lomes

Cricket Spectator
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After visiting India twice in the past four years, I noticed that cricket is played everywhere by everyone who can hold a bat or roll the arm over.

Therefore, I ask the question, is it an unofficial religion in the country ??

Results (total votes = 10):
Yes 5 / 50.0%

No 3 / 30.0%

To Some It Is 2 / 20.0%

"THE CARLTON SUPPORTERS CLUB"
The Best Blues Forum In The Business

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After visiting India twice in the past four years, I noticed that cricket is played everywhere by everyone who can hold a bat or roll the arm over.

Therefore, I ask the question, is it an unofficial religion in the country ??

Results (total votes = 10):
Yes 5 / 50.0%

No 3 / 30.0%

To Some It Is 2 / 20.0%

"THE CARLTON SUPPORTERS CLUB"
The Best Blues Forum In The Business
It is not a religion ...more like a cheap pastime and a passport towards fame and money..

But wht poll was that and where did u come up with the votes? lol...funny

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
cricket is more about a way of life for some.....it is not a religion exactly....i dont forsee any calls for a jehad if india fail to win the next world cup!!

Anoop

U19 12th Man
cricket is so like a religion in India because we don't stand a chance in most other major sports - in football India is ranked 123, Tennis was good for a while when Paes and Bhoopathy were together, then Chess (but i won't call it a spectacular sport)

success has been few for india in other games. That is why crick's so popular, or is it the other way round!

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
cricket is so like a religion in India because we don't stand a chance in most other major sports - in football India is ranked 123, Tennis was good for a while when Paes and Bhoopathy were together, then Chess (but i won't call it a spectacular sport)

success has been few for india in other games. That is why crick's so popular, or is it the other way round!

I've heard some of my umpiring friends say that they are quite scared to go to India as they have to be ******ed onto the field by security guards carrying assault rifles.

On the other hand, I can't wait to umpire over there because it seems like they have a real passion for the game which I sometimes think is lacking in Austraila.

[Edited on 7/26/02 by Eyes_Only]

Anoop

U19 12th Man
that's something new!!.. off course there are the standard security things.. but those assault rifles are not for handling mad fans!!.. there is absolutely no reason to be scared to come to India, if you don't go near Kashmir anyway.. !!!!!!!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Eyes: Some of my frs say that in australia u can sleep with any girl. they also say that each person sleeps with a different person every nite...

ridiculous right ? yeah but thts what i think from seeing all those movies..

The only reason u have all those rifles is that the fans are fanatic and would like physical contact with the players, autographs and stuff like that.

So in most places the rifles are just to make the visiting players think that they are safe. (Atleast most places ).
Yeah in some grounds terrorism threat is there so we need them.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket is not a religion. It is a passion in India. It is a game which different people at different strata in society can relate to at different levels and enjoy. It is the unofficial national game of the country and hockey remaining as the national game no longer makes any sense. It unites all the diverse cultures in India and is the single most unifying force in a time of peace.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
anilvarma has just put it all together properly

its not a game that is worshipped ( i do ) :P i play it with passion and always put a lot of effort in it , its something i like doing most times and something i can never give up, i play it seriously too
its something that came by birth lol and my mum wouldnt agree it being one of the greatest thhings for me :P

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Eyes: Some of my frs say that in australia u can sleep with any girl. they also say that each person sleeps with a different person every nite...

ridiculous right ? yeah but thts what i think from seeing all those movies..

The only reason u have all those rifles is that the fans are fanatic and would like physical contact with the players, autographs and stuff like that.

So in most places the rifles are just to make the visiting players think that they are safe. (Atleast most places ).
Yeah in some grounds terrorism threat is there so we need them.
I totally agree with that but some of my friends have expressed concern for their safety that's all.

godschin

Cricket Spectator
Don't know whether Cricket is religion here or not .BUT i would say one thing about Sachin

Some pply find the God in Temple,others find it in Church, i find my God on cricket ield.Indeed, Sachin is the almighty. :)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
If Sachin was "God" why isint he in heaven ?

If Sachin was 'God' why isint he providing you with food , happiness and good luck ?

If Sachin was "God" why cant u talk to him ?

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Don't know whether Cricket is religion here or not .BUT i would say one thing about Sachin

Some pply find the God in Temple,others find it in Church, i find my God on cricket ield.Indeed, Sachin is the almighty. :)
:rolleyes:

godschin

Cricket Spectator
Sachin is here on Earth, to turn this world into heaven!
Atleast thats for India, about the rest i don't give a damn :D

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Sachin is here on Earth, to turn this world into heaven!
Atleast thats for India, about the rest i don't give a damn :D

dude open the window...i think you need some sun... :D..and while you are at it..ask ur mom to get you some strong filter coffee too..

godschin

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the advice Dude, but its you who have been suffering from osteodystrophy and not me!
Try to get some dehydroxycolicalciferol, or our bone will melt down just like ur tiny brain did :D

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"My words are bigger than yours........."

Sheesh, dont you two have anything better to do? :D