• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland's chances

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Mohammed Yousuf and Inzamam-ul-Haq are class but to say Shoaib Malik and Umar Gul have class is a little premature TBH.Both are good ODI players but both haven't got the experience of having a brilliant record over a long period of time.If Malik and Gul play 200-300 ODI's and they still have the same averages then they are class players in my book.I suggested 3 Pakistan players who were IMO worse than some of the Ireland players but not the whole team.Bray,Rankin and Langford-Smith are decent cricketers IMO and certianly not much worse than the 3 previous Pakistani players I mentioned before.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As I say - I don't like to bias my views with hindsight.

Delighted you won the dosh, of course - good on you - but from a purely cricketing POV I said to back Ireland against Pakistan was pretty far-fetched and I still think such a thing. If you were to replay the match tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after, and the day after, etc. I'd still back Pakistan on every single occasion.
My post regarding my bets was just a reply to the previous post asking about them - they weren't trying to prove a point.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mohammed Yousuf and Inzamam-ul-Haq are class but to say Shoaib Malik and Umar Gul have class is a little premature TBH.Both are good ODI players but both haven't got the experience of having a brilliant record over a long period of time.If Malik and Gul play 200-300 ODI's and they still have the same averages then they are class players in my book.I suggested 3 Pakistan players who were IMO worse than some of the Ireland players but not the whole team.Bray,Rankin and Langford-Smith are decent cricketers IMO and certianly not much worse than the 3 previous Pakistani players I mentioned before.
Why do Danish and Sami have better records in English domestic cricket, then?

Shoaib Malik couldn't be more of a class ODI batsman if he tried, IMO. His only crime is his unobtusiveness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My post regarding my bets was just a reply to the previous post asking about them - they weren't trying to prove a point.
I was more replying to your post above DB's than the one above mine.

The one where you said
Prince EWS said:
Seriously, I would have expected Richard to hammer my prediction before the match.

But now that Ireland have already won, I really thought he'd lay off it. I can't believe he's still making it to be a poor one.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yet, as you point-out, Kaneria in short-form cricket is far from decent...
That's because he's bowling at better batsmen who take risks sometimes inside the powerplay overs.It's common knowledge that when a decent leggie is up agianst English batsmen they don't know how to play him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But he did play in the first game.I was just pointing out to Richard that he is a poor one day player.
Why does it matter though?

Richard said:
Just so happened that Pakistan didn't exhibit their class on this occasion.
Pup Clarke said:
Class is the likes of Hafeez,Sami and Kaneria is it?
Why mention Kaneria in the first place when Richard was clearly talking about the eleven that played Ireland?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yet, as you point-out, Kaneria in short-form cricket is far from decent...
His domestic record sggests otherwise. He seems to be one of those rare players who is a very good domestic player at one form of the game but a poor international player at that form, for whatever reasons.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
His domestic record sggests otherwise. He seems to be one of those rare players who is a very good domestic player at one form of the game but a poor international player at that form, for whatever reasons.
I'm still not 100% sure Kaneria's absolutely terrible in ODIs. I'd be willing to give him a few more games myself.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's because he's bowling at better batsmen who take risks sometimes inside the powerplay overs.It's common knowledge that when a decent leggie is up agianst English batsmen they don't know how to play him.
Is that why Kaneria averages 45.14 in Tests against England? That includes an average of 40podd in Tests against England in Pakistan.

Those hopeless English batsmen, ey?