• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Innings played by batsmen with minimum percentage of runs scored in boundaries

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No surprise Michael Bevan appears 4 times on the ODI list; one of those matches was where he remained not out and Australia failed to chase down a gettable total! As great as he was on many occasions to rescue Australia from hopeless situations, he did have occasions like that where it misfired.

I knew about this because Ian Chappell loves mentioning it on commentary every summer!
Bevan was not out in 5 losing chases in his entire career (out of 34 losing chases) (15%). By comparison he was not out in 25 winning chases (out of 75 wining chases) (33%). Strike rates were 70 in losing chases and 66 in winning chases. Averages were 39 and 42 respectively.

Batting first he was not out 9/36 times in losses (with 1 dnb on top of that) (25%) and 28/77 times in wins (with 3 dnbs on top of that) (36%). Strike rates were 83 in wins and 73 in losses setting a target. Averages were 86 and 57 respectively.

That all suggests Australia were more likely to win if he ended up not out, regardless of whether we were batting or fielding first.

I find it remarkable that we only lost 5 times in chases when he got red ink. The fact that there are so few is probably why they're so memorable.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yes, exactly 100. Chetan Chauhan scored 157 in the same match with only 2 boundaries.
Chauhan was a queer fish. Reputation for stodginess but, in some of the tests atleast, he had a go. I still remember Keith Miller commenting how much he enjoyed one of his innings.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bevan was not out in 5 losing chases in his entire career (out of 34 losing chases) (15%). By comparison he was not out in 25 winning chases (out of 75 wining chases) (33%). Strike rates were 70 in losing chases and 66 in winning chases. Averages were 39 and 42 respectively.

Batting first he was not out 9/36 times in losses (with 1 dnb on top of that) (25%) and 28/77 times in wins (with 3 dnbs on top of that) (36%). Strike rates were 83 in wins and 73 in losses setting a target. Averages were 86 and 57 respectively.

That all suggests Australia were more likely to win if he ended up not out, regardless of whether we were batting or fielding first.

I find it remarkable that we only lost 5 times in chases when he got red ink. The fact that there are so few is probably why they're so memorable.
All-round records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

Have I done this right? India has only lost 1 game where Dhoni was not out at the end.

Won 78 games where he was not out at the end.

Makes a mockery of Bevans record if true tbh.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Have I done this right? India has only lost 1 game where Dhoni was not out at the end.

Won 78 games where he was not out at the end.

Makes a mockery of Bevans record if true tbh.
Hardly "makes a mockery" of Bevan's record. It is extremely impressive though. What is interesting to me about Dhoni is that he only batted in 69/103 innings where India win chasing and he was not out in 44 of them. I'd call it the "Kohli effect" that so many chases were over before Dhoni got a bat.

Pretty much between Bevan, Dhoni and Hussey I've managed to witness the careers of the three greatest ODI chasers/ finishers ever.

Chrish

International Debutant
From current players, Kohli doesn't seem to hit too many boundaries even in tests. Relies on milking singles and doubles. Or may be it's just a perception but that's what it seems like from recent knocks.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True that Dhoni has been a great finisher, but we might be mixing cause and effect when looking at numbers this way.
I'm not a fan either but I think it's somewhat useful only when used for chasers.

Obviously if you use it for top order batsmen it loses all meaning. Someone like Sehwag has probably never lost a match while being not out and chasing and it's not because he always sees his team through to the end or whatever.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not a fan either but I think it's somewhat useful only when used for chasers.

Obviously if you use it for top order batsmen it loses all meaning. Someone like Sehwag has probably never lost a match while being not out and chasing and it's not because he always sees his team through to the end or whatever.
How about all the times when chase was stiff and Dhoni/Bevan/XYZ got out? May be staying not out is a function of level of difficulty hence chance of win, rather than other way round.

akilana

International 12th Man
Hardly "makes a mockery" of Bevan's record. It is extremely impressive though. What is interesting to me about Dhoni is that he only batted in 69/103 innings where India win chasing and he was not out in 44 of them. I'd call it the "Kohli effect" that so many chases were over before Dhoni got a bat.

Pretty much between Bevan, Dhoni and Hussey I've managed to witness the careers of the three greatest ODI chasers/ finishers ever.
Hussey wasn’t a great chaser.