• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Thread

adharcric

International Coach
Pathan AND Uthappa should play, at the expense of AA (I know he's a legend, but gotta give the others a chance).
Chance? The World Cup is not a charity. AA is just ahead of Sreesanth and easily ahead of Pathan as the third seamer. Besides, he was superb in the WI last year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think he was being tongue in cheek with that "give others a chance" in reference to the AAAS.

I do think though that Munaf and Zaheer are ahead of AA in the pecking order, and if India want to have a deep batting line-up, and Irfan is in form, AA would be the fast bowler on the chop.

adharcric

International Coach
Haha, well I assumed he was being serious because he hasn't been a member long enough to know about the almighty AAAS.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Maybe by tournament end that may be the team, but surely Uthappa will get first crack, and Irfan depends on how he bowls in practice matches?
I am not entirely sure about Uthappa at 3. It is alright if Sehwag or Sourav get out early but what if we get a rollicking start and he has to come in AFTER the powerplays. I am not sure if he is all that good at rotating the strike and stuff.

For me, its "too many cooks spoil the meal". We have picked our two main openers as Sourav and Viru and so lets give them some games and see how they go. Then bring in Robin for one of them. And if Uthappa bats at 3, Yuvraj will have to drop down to 6 and Dhoni to 7. Not where I would want two of the best bets in the side to be batting, tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I am not entirely sure about Uthappa at 3. It is alright if Sehwag or Sourav get out early but what if we get a rollicking start and he has to come in AFTER the powerplays. I am not sure if he is all that good at rotating the strike and stuff.

For me, its "too many cooks spoil the meal". We have picked our two main openers as Sourav and Viru and so lets give them some games and see how they go. Then bring in Robin for one of them. And if Uthappa bats at 3, Yuvraj will have to drop down to 6 and Dhoni to 7. Not where I would want two of the best bets in the side to be batting, tbh.
I don't want Uthappa at 3, I'm actually wanting Sehwag in the middle to lower order, but that won't happen so I guess its all a bit tricky.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if Uthappa bats at 3, Yuvraj will have to drop down to 6 and Dhoni to 7. Not where I would want two of the best bets in the side to be batting, tbh.
Well I'd prefer that than the best batsman (Tendulkar) bat in a position (three) where he's barely scored a run!

Unless you're going to have Dravid (or Yuvraj, or Dhoni - which I don't like the idea of, personally) at three I can't see any option other than a top-three of Ganguly, Sehwag, Uthappa, whoever partners Ganguly at the top.

For me, the key is flexibility. Dhoni and Yuvraj don't have to come in at six and seven, you can alternate them according to the situation. For example, if Uthappa and Sehwag play loads of strokes early and get 30 or 40 each, then Ganguly and Tendulkar bat until the 36th over, you can promote either Dhoni or Yuvraj according to.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well I'd prefer that than the best batsman (Tendulkar) bat in a position (three) where he's barely scored a run!

Unless you're going to have Dravid (or Yuvraj, or Dhoni - which I don't like the idea of, personally) at three I can't see any option other than a top-three of Ganguly, Sehwag, Uthappa, whoever partners Ganguly at the top.

For me, the key is flexibility. Dhoni and Yuvraj don't have to come in at six and seven, you can alternate them according to the situation. For example, if Uthappa and Sehwag play loads of strokes early and get 30 or 40 each, then Ganguly and Tendulkar bat until the 36th over, you can promote either Dhoni or Yuvraj according to.
yeah, that I get but I am still not comfortable with 4 openers batting at 1,2,3 and 4. Something just doesn't sound right there.

pup11

International Coach
Indian WC squad really doesn't make much sense to me, they have 4 pure openers(Ganguly,Tendulkar,Uthappa,Sehwag) in the team and if you count Dravid the count goes up to 5.

Now they have made up their mind that they want to open with Sehwag rather than Uthappa, so what i want to know won't Laxman or Kaif have been better choices then Uthappa if he isn't gonna open the innings(or to lets be more precise he might not even play a game).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indian WC squad really doesn't make much sense to me, they have 4 pure openers(Ganguly,Tendulkar,Uthappa,Sehwag) in the team and if you count Dravid the count goes up to 5.
Tendulkar's more than a mere opener and Dravid's no opener at all.

shortpitched713

International Captain
This is what I think they should go in with for the first match, assuming everyone is fit.

Indian XI
1. Virender Sehwag
2. Sourav Ganguly
3. Rahul Dravid*
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. Mahendra Dhoni
7. Irfan Pathan
8. Ajit Agarkar
9. Zaheer Khan
10. Harbhajan Singh
11. Munaf Patel

India could really, really, really do with a good quality allrounder. As it is they have to make due with Pathan, whose inclusion I felt was neccessary to give team India a semblance of balance. Still, part-timers like Yuvraj and Ganguly will probably have to bowl some overs, and the opposition would do well to target them. Even so the Indian batting lineup is one of the best in the world, if a bit long in the tooth. Key will be how the opening partnership of Sehwag and Ganguly does, with Sehwag often struggling opening in ODIs and Ganguly probably having to shake off a bit of rust.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
TBH I'd go with

Sourav Ganguly
Robin Uthappa
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Yuvraj Singh
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Irfan Pathan/Dinesh Karthik
Harbhajan Singh
Agit Agarkar
Zaheer Khan
Munaf Patel

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I still do - and it worries me deeply.

That's why I'd love someone to tell me - with assurance - that there isn't!!!!!