• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In the right place at the right time!

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Name some individuals in cricket who got a lot of success "on paper", but that doesn't reflect how good/bad they were because of XYZ reasons.

For e.g. John Buchanan,

I don't know how good he was, but the Aussie team he coached was full of rockstars. The team was good enough to do well without a coach, at the most they would have required a manager. Buchanan's stint at KKR was a little weird, he came up with the "multiple captains" theory, which was a failure. I am all for these kind of experiments though and I am glad he tried it.

Overall, I am not saying that John Buchanan was good or bad, but he coached a side that was already "there".

Any other players/coaches,etc. you can think of who were "in the right place at the right time"?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He averages 60 in test cricket off a small sample size and bullying minnows at home, average flatters him ALOT.
Not really, except for the one series against West Indies. Also dominated New Zealand home and away, and unbeaten debut 100 in difficult batting conditions. Average flatters him a bit, sure, but he still played just as much cricket against stronger teams too. If not for those he'd have averaged 100. If anything probably played against less minnows than most tbh

He still did way better than Smith, Warner and any other batsmen who played the exact same matches during that period. Right place, right time would have been if he never had to play the 2015 Ashes, or the Tests in Sri Lanka or the home series v SA.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Mike Whitney's first test.
We have a similar story to that with Tony Pigott. In 1984 in New Zealand he happened to be there when the England tour party had a lot of injuries amongst the bowlers. In those days it still took too long to get to New Zealand for a proper replacement to fly out. He was not a Test cricketer in a million years. He cancelled his wedding (he should have used that as an omen, but later rescheduled it), England performed badly and lost inside three days, but he has a Cap and Test wickets and runs to his name.