• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC sim league IV

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Are conditions in the game (is pitch and weather) variable or standardised?
Pitches & weather are variable. I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but this tournament will be hosted in England, like the previous versions of the sim league.

For those wondering, England tends to provide pitches with a good balance between pace & spin, as well as a variety of weather ranging from very sunny to very cloudy. There is no rain in ODIs in the game either.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And what about some famous players who aren't in the game? I remember Slater is not in it randomly, anyone else notable, from the pre odi era?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
And what about some famous players who aren't in the game? I remember Slater is not in it randomly, anyone else notable, from the pre odi era?
It's true that not everybody is in the game. So far no-one currently selected is missing from the game. If someone selects a player that isn't in the game then I will create that player, much like I did last time, using their FC stats as a guide and FC stats from players from the same era as reference points.

Rather than mention who isn't in the game I'll just keep that on the down low.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
Jimmy, just confirming this - first class stats are taken into account even if the player has an international career, right?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Jimmy, just confirming this - first class stats are taken into account even if the player has an international career, right?
If you're asking me whether or not the game itself uses FC stats only when calculating a player's ability, I don't know. I'm not sure what exact type of algorithm the game is using to get its player ratings, but it is stats based. I'm not sure how much Test/ODI/T20 is taken into consideration, clearly though the best players in the game would naturally have brilliant FC stats anyway.

Basically, every player has a batting rating # (higher = better) and a bowling rating # (lower = better). This rating does not change across formats.

As for players who aren't in the game, if selected, I will use other similar players from the same era is reference points to create them.

e.g. Someone selects an offie from the 1880's who isn't actually in the game. To create this player I would inspect the ratings of other off-spin bowlers from, say, 1877 - 1900, and assign a bowling rating # to them in relation to their peers.

If player x (FC bowl ave: 18.00) has a bowler rating of 460, and player y (FC ave: 20.00) has a rating of 480, then player z (FC ave: 19.00) should have a bowler rating of 470.

If an opening batsman from the 50's is missing, then I would take a look at other opening batsmen from the 50's & apply the same method using FC bat ave.

The reason I use players from the same era as references is because the game's algorithm seems to take into consideration rising and/or falling bat/bowl averages over time. You'll find that ATGs from later eras are just as good as the oldies & vice versa. The players with the best FC stats for their era are generally the best players in the game. There are of course players who are outliers to this whole thing. Like I said, dunno exactly what is going on with the game's engine.

Note that these are just examples I am not talking about any particular players from any particular time-frame.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Moreover, with batsmen, the best of the best from each era stack up against one another quite evenly. Bradman is better than everyone obvs.

With bowlers, the best of the best from each era stack up against one another quite evenly again, with a select handful of bowlers in the game sharing the lowest, and therefore best, bowling rating in the game.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
95% of the players will already be in the game anyway, and will have their ratings generated by the game engine. So don't take my examples as gospel.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I wonder if they've used a PEWS-esque conversion formula to make sense of old batting and bowling averages, or they've just got some guy to sit there and go, 'yep, McGrath > Lohmann, because reasons'

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, TBF you could look at the old scorecards and get an idea of who's decent and who isn't.

Like I said, the majority of the players in the sim were generated by the ICC 13 engine. Missing players will be created by yours truly using the method I explained earlier. It's more fun when people don't know who their best players 'cause you get crazy things like what harsh was doing last time around and Nate dragging his 2010's team to the final without picking Steyn! (don't think I'm gonna give much away by confirming that, yes, Steyn is good and the game thinks so too).

ImpatientLime

International Regular
bruce mitchell

1 - bruce mitchell
2-
3-
4- ken barrington
5-
6- warwick armstrong
7- les ames
8-
9-