• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How old are us CricketWeb members?

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hi, James. I'd like to echo everyone elses greetings. It's great to have someone of your age and cricketing knowledge here.

I was wondering (although he was probably before your time somewhat) if you ever had the opportunity to watch Stan McCabe bat. The only person I've known who had first-hand knowledge of cricket in that period (my Grandfather) always maintained that, regardless of what statistics might say, McCabe was the second greatest batsman Australia ever produced. Whether that's true or not, did you ever see him?
Thank you for the kind words, FaaipDeOiad. As a young boy, I saw McCabe bat twice during the !938 Australian tour of England -- the 4th Test at Headingley where he was out the second or third ball and vs an England XI at Blackpool where he was out for a low score. I no longer have my scorebooks so that is strictly from memory.

I do know he was an outstanding batsman, however, from the books I have read.

James

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
lord_of_darkness said:
Wow i admire your knowledge and your memory james .. the way you have described it.. makes it seem like it was only yesterday.. Makes me think you might have not gone too hard on the old whiskey during your years to preserve those brain cells? Puts a bit of embarrasment to my generation (current) of merry men..:p
Ah, lord_of_darkness, I have had my share of wine, women and song in my lifetime -- I must have good genes! 8-) :D

Thank you for your kind words.

James

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
jamesicus said:
Ah, lord_of_darkness, I have had my share of wine, women and song in my lifetime -- I must have good genes! 8-) :D

Thank you for your kind words.

James
Hi James,

Is that your grip on the ball in your avataar ? just curious ?

Shahid_afridi

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i am 16(just turned 16 on the 8th of october...)

@pedro_delgado: luftwaffe is a german word but which pic is he referring to?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I'd bet folding money that there was a little uneven bounce that day. My, and some people think we should return to uncovered pitches eh?

Last edited:

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
(hope it's okay that I post it here, James...if not I'll turn it into a link)
I think it should be a link, Samuel_Vimes. I got that picture many years ago -- I think it appeared in the long since defunct Manchester The Daily Dispatch in 1940 -- although it is some sixty five years old, I am not sure of its copyright status so I think it is best not to broadcast it on the Forum.

James

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
jamesicus said:
I think it should be a link, Samuel_Vimes. I got that picture many years ago -- I think it appeared in the long since defunct Manchester The Daily Dispatch in 1940 -- although it is some sixty five years old, I am not sure of its copyright status so I think it is best not to broadcast it on the Forum.

James
I'll remove it, but I was actually more thinking of bandwidth issues. There are plenty of copyrighted images around here, and we haven't been sued yet :)

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Here I am venturing into cricket chat (what a novelty!) for the first time in ages & I find myself in an off topic thread lol. Oh well! Might be in here more often seeing as the Somerset forum's closed :( Anyhoo!! I'm 18 :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesicus said:
Hi, SJS, you wrote:

None of the above

Yes -- I was born 28 August 1929 --- been in love with cricket all of my life.

James
So SJS and I can no longer consider ourselves to be the token resident site fogeys - in fact, we are mere spring chickens compared to your good self.

I've just read your web pages too. Interesting photo of you on the beach at Blackpool - I was there last week - nothing's changed (and the sea's still half way to the Isle of Man).

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
I'd bet folding money that there was a little uneven bounce that day. My, and some people think we should return to uncovered pitches eh?
It looks to me as though the ball would, er, stay in the wicket

/runs away

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I dont know about spring chicken but the person immediately above me in the agewise list, is more than twenty years older than me !!

Not many can say that here now, can they ? :p

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
luckyeddie said:
..... I've just read your web pages too. Interesting photo of you on the beach at Blackpool - I was there last week - nothing's changed (and the sea's still half way to the Isle of Man).
I know what you mean, luckyeddie. When I last visited Blackpool -- in 1998 -- I was saddened to see how tawdry it had become and surprised by the "Keep out of the Sea " signs due to pollution.

BTW, I noticed your Derby location -- I have so many fond memories of that city having spent quite a lot of time there both before, and during, WW2.

One of my father's brothers and his wife moved there sometime in the early to mid 1930s, I believe, to escape the textile job uncertainties and unemployment as the great depression enveloped Lancashire. As I recall, they both worked at Celanese and rented a cottage in the village of Spondon to be close to work. We stayed with them in that cottage when we drove down to Derby in 1937. Spondon was a beautiful rural village in those days -- I still have vivid memories of our stay there: being stung by nettles in the back garden of the cottage; seeing a huge bull in a field during a walk with my father and uncle -- listening to BBC cricket on the relay wireless.

My uncle left Celanese to work for Rolls Royce when the war started and moved to 94 Lord St in Allenton in order to be closer to the factory. I visited them two or three times during the war but did not stay long for the Luftwaffe was raiding Derby, not only to try and bomb Rolls Royce, but also to go for the LMS railway carriage works and Celanese.

I remember spending some nights in the Lord Street back garden Anderson shelter during air raid alerts. Just some fond memories for me.

James

Last edited: