• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Simon Jones

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
he's pretty consistent, is brilliant with the old ball eg reverse swing and can take the new ball aswell. we saw a glimpse of his best in 3rd and 4th ashes 2005 test matches. depending on how he does for glamorgan, i think he should start the test series against west indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard do you even watch cricket? To look at scorecards to decide whether he actually bowled well or not is ludicrous. Despite taking 2/69 at Edgbaston he was quite brilliant for the large part and the quality of his bowling wasnt reflected in his bowling figures.
He may have bowled well in spells in that Edgbaston game but he also had spells where he bowled nonsense. Overall, not an especially outstanding game and certainly nowhere near as good as the next 2.
Further more, Simon Jones, has always possessed an excellent control of the old ball and had you actually paid closer attention to those games, you would have noticed that almost always he had a very poor new ball spell before he came back and was right on the button with the old ball. He has a problem controlling the new ball, and its something that he has gone on to mention himself in interviews.
That's nonsense, there have been plenty of times he's barely even bowled with an especially new ball, and where he's bowled inaccurately with an older one too.

Yes, there have been more than a few times where what you mention has happened too.

dcnstntn

Cricket Spectator
I rate S Jones very highly. When he first came in to the side I had my doubts, but he went away worked on things came back and was very accurate at pace. I can remember during the triumphant Ashes, Benaud never stopped praising him.

I am always excited when he has the ball in his hand. If he keeps up his approach I think he can be one of the world's top bowlers, as well as England's spearhead. Loads of potential.