• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you rate players like VVS Laxman?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Favourite player of all time, obviously. Would have a much better looking record if he hadn't been forced to open for such a long time. The 281 was so monumental it overshadows the several other all time great innings he played, which is why you sometimes have filthy casuals only talk about that innings when VVS is mentioned. Inb4 @Teja. mentions the three amazing innings he played in 2010 to keep India at no.1. Better player than many players from his era with higher averages.

Had flaws though. He was a much worse player of swing than people acknowledge, and if he came in with the same technique and approach in today's era, I find it hard to see him having a 45+ average.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Favourite player of all time, obviously. Would have a much better looking record if he hadn't been forced to open for such a long time. The 281 was so monumental it overshadows the several other all time great innings he played, which is why you sometimes have filthy casuals only talk about that innings when VVS is mentioned. Inb4 @Teja. mentions the three amazing innings he played in 2010 to keep India at no.1. Better player than many players from his era with higher averages.

Had flaws though. He was a much worse player of swing than people acknowledge, and if he came in with the same technique and approach in today's era, I find it hard to see him having a 45+ average.
Agree with all of that tbf. He was special but because of that we get carried away and forget his flaws.

Flem274*

123/5
Excellent player, probably made more interesting because the not quite greats are often more fun to support and watch.

He broke my heart in 2010 but I forgive him because he's so good.

Flem274*

123/5

He'd average less today too because I think he'd get promoted up the order since the Indian middle order currently play with toothpicks. Laxman/Pant/Jadeja/Ashwin is an excellent 5-8 though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He'd average less today too because I think he'd get promoted up the order since the Indian middle order currently play with toothpicks. Laxman/Pant/Jadeja/Ashwin is an excellent 5-8 though.
I think they'd probably bat him at 5 ahead of Iyer. I'd sooner drop Pujara and bat him at 3 but if they won't drop Pujara for Gill they wouldn't drop him to keep Iyer either, IMO.

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't think Mark Waugh's average was misleading. He just looked better than he actually was, and he underachieved a bit.

Laxman's average was misleading because of the insistence he bat out of position early in his career.
Waugh would have averaged 45 or so like Laxman if he played in the 2000s.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Waugh would have averaged 45 or so like Laxman if he played in the 2000s.
Yeah I agree but "played in an era hard for batting" only makes his average misleading in the way it did for literally everyone who played then.

If Laxman didn't have to open so much he'd have averaged ~50 in the era he played in. Definitely better than Waugh.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah I agree but "played in an era hard for batting" only makes his average misleading in the way it did for literally everyone who played then.

If Laxman didn't have to open so much he'd have averaged ~50 in the era he played in. Definitely better than Waugh.
Personally think Waugh would average higher if he played for a weaker team. He was the sort who didn't score if the stakes weren't high.

Ali TT

International Debutant
I've never understood the fuss about Laxman, other than 2001, but then reminded myself that us England fans were never blessed with seeing him anywhere near his best.

ma1978

International 12th Man

What a great player. Critical rol in many of India’s greatest wins

loved this article from years ago