• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How did this bloke play for aus a??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
well i reckon in that spell, of 12 tests, he failed in 5, and most of those failures were where he actually only batted one innings..the fact that he scored over 500 runs at an average of over 100 for a spell of 5 tests in the middle of this 'bad' patch doesnt mean anything to you does it?
Where was this?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
Forget how the average goes up and down..as you have said, players who havent played that much have great fluctuations in average.
Exactly, and as such Martyn's average does have a chance of going down quite quickly thanks to a not-massive number of low scores.
Forget how the average goes up and down? That's the whole question!!!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
no the whole career counts as a period too. and i'd think if someone was inconsistent for a longer period he should actually be worse off.
and if you want a short period then try this:
13 tests averaging 25
http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype
No coincidence that that was at the start of his career.
And Bradman didn't have an especially good start to his career, something that most people know.
err if you understood english, you'd realise that thats precisely my point. since tendulkar was so inconsistent in that period, i guess we can now claim that he was an extremely inconsistent player and his average will go below 50.
Nope, because he's played stacks of Tests before that single period.
and inzamams poor period saw his average drop by 10 runs.
Indeed it did.
obviously, because you like inzy and dont like martyn,
No, I'm not into irrational dislike and like.
equally i'd be surprised if inzy averages over 50 or over martyn ever again.
We'll see, then.
except that martyn wont have a period of 1.5 years averaging 16. because he isnt as inconsistent.
He might - it's just not likely.
In fact, he almost certainly wouldn't last that long.
Even Clarke probably won't last that long if he goes on in his most recent vein for 1.5 years.
err if hes poor for 1.5 years at 35 years old, hes going to be dropped.
Fairly obviously.
Though I'd hardly see it's likely that Pakistan have much to bring in in his place.
ditto martyn
We'll see.
largely because it didnt affect his batting.
Which we know how, exactly...? Only Inzamam will know whether or not it affected his batting.
WOW 30.75!!!
a whole 20 runs below his career average.
Exactly, not great - nor disgracefully poor, either.
martyns has, except that its going up.
And as such it's due to go down sometime.
Hopefully (given that his next games are against England) it might be soon.