• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hockey World Cup

Salamuddin

International Debutant
cricketboy29 said:
India forever....:D. even though I don't think we've won anything for quite some time in hockey..Then again, I wouldn't know even if we had..

The big problem with India and Pakistan in hockey is the fact that they haven't kept up with times....in terms of coaching, fitness, tactics teams like Aus, Ger, NED and ESP are well ahead.

Both teams still have plenty of skilful players - it's a question of whether their organization and infrastructure to match the aforementioned nations.

Contrary to popular belief, there is still plenty of interest and affection among the INdian public for hockey as witnessed by the Premier Hockey League attendances this year.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
jamesryfler said:
New Zealand lost 3 consecutive times to India at last month's Azlan Shah tournament.
including in the playoff for 3rd position.
I watched that playoff match and India looked clearly the more skilful team.
?

Not sure where you got your information from - we only played India once in the Azlan Shah tournament (the 3rd/4th playoff, which we lost 3-2). In that tournament we also beat Argentina and drew with Pakistan and the Netherlands before being smashed by Australia in the semi-final. Results from here. Prior to that, our last couple of games against India have been a 1-1 draw at the 2004 Champions Trophy (where I remember India's goal came from a ridiculous umpiring decision giving India a stroke right on full time) and a 2-1 win at the Athens Olympics in 2004 .

jamesryfler said:
And Korea aren't exactly a poor side - they beat Aus 3-0 at the Azlan Shah tournament - when was tghe last time NZl even drew with Australia in a test ?
Well yes, I actually said that we seem to struggle to beat Australia. The last time we drew was in July 2004 at Cairns, where the score was 3-3. The last time we beat them was in June 1999 at the Oceania Cup (3-2). Our most recent results against Korea have been a 1-1 draw and a 4-1 win, both at the World Cup qualifying tournament this year (which NZ won).

Last edited:

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
David said:
Such as when my keeper took me out?
The time our full back had to go to hospital because an opponent hit it into his chest so hard it actually lifted him off the ground?
When my teammate lifted the ball into my head?

Awesome game, hoping Australia can continue their recent grand slam dominance.
That's impressive.

The best story I can think of is when one guy on my team was playing with a beanie on. Someone from the other team hit a full-blooded shot towards the goal - it hit the guy's beanie, knocking it off his head but not actually making contact with his head.

David

International 12th Man
Sir Redman said:
That's impressive.

The best story I can think of is when one guy on my team was playing with a beanie on. Someone from the other team hit a full-blooded shot towards the goal - it hit the guy's beanie, knocking it off his head but not actually making contact with his head.
It was really rather frightening to watch, I was about 2 metres away at the time.

I once hit the opposition goalie on the head, bit too much of a backswing in the D, opposition goalie was rushing towards the ball, tripped over, and his head went straight onto the ball, and my stick followed shortly after. Thankfully he was ok afterwards.

Beleg

International Regular
My favourite sport. :)

I am expecting Australia to win. Pakistan are the dark horses. Will be watching all the games religiously, nice to see so many Hockey fans around. :)

Steulen

International Regular
Pakistan will come nowhere near the trophy, they don't have a team.

One of the big three (Australia, Germany, Netherlands) to win it, as usual.

Beleg

International Regular
^

Please do not bring reality into the equation. They're my team and I am sticking with 'em. :p

Seriously, for what it is worth, I predict that Pakistan will get to the semi-finals.

Beleg

International Regular
Germany beat India 3-2 in an exciting starting game.

NZ trounce Argentina by 3-0 with cold precision and good technical play.

South Korea are 2-0 up at half-time against the Dutch. An upset is on the cards here.

GO KOREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Beleg said:
Germany beat India 3-2 in an exciting starting game.

NZ trounce Argentina by 3-0 with cold precision and good technical play.

South Korea are 2-0 up at half-time against the Dutch. An upset is on the cards here.

GO KOREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As usual India concede a goal in the final minute....pathetic. After twice fighting back from a goal down, they stupidly concede a goal when the draw was there on offer.

The 3-0 scoreline flattered NZL a little...Argentina had more scoring chances and possession but NZL capitalised on those they had. Still it was agreat result for the Kiwis and I reckon they are in with a real shot to make the semis.

KOrea's fitness proved too strong for the Dutch.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Gajanayake said:
The 3-0 scoreline flattered NZL a little...Argentina had more scoring chances and possession but NZL capitalised on those they had. Still it was agreat result for the Kiwis and I reckon they are in with a real shot to make the semis.
I think that in the end the 3-0 scoreline flattered Argentina a bit. We started like crap, yes, in the first fifteen minutes the Argies had almost all the play but only created one or two reasonable chances and failed to put them away (our defence played very well I thought). Then when we scored in the 17th minute (against the run of play) the game changed completely. We grew in confidence and started stringing a lot of good passes together. The second goal allowed us to play with a bit more freedom and from there on we had plenty of chances to score. In the second half in particular we had another 5 or 6 clear cut opportunities but didn't finish them, while Argentina only had a couple of chances (the two PCs they had didn't look too threatening) and couldn't find the net. It could quite easily have ended up 5-1 or something similar.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Anyway, the Korea result could really make things interesting in this pool. The semi-final spots could come down to goal difference, with all teams capable of beating each other on the day. We've got Pakistan up next, hopefully they have an off-day and we can sneak past them. We beat Korea twice in warm up games this week (2-1 and 4-0) so hopefully we've got a bit of a mental edge on them and can beat them again, and then if we can get a draw against one of Australia or Netherlands we should be in the running for a spot in the semis.

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sir Redman said:
Anyway, the Korea result could really make things interesting in this pool. The semi-final spots could come down to goal difference, with all teams capable of beating each other on the day. We've got Pakistan up next, hopefully they have an off-day and we can sneak past them. We beat Korea twice in warm up games this week (2-1 and 4-0) so hopefully we've got a bit of a mental edge on them and can beat them again, and then if we can get a draw against one of Australia or Netherlands we should be in the running for a spot in the semis.
Except neither Korea nor Netherlands are in your pool.

Beleg

International Regular
It's Pakistan vs. NZ today and I am really looking forward to it. If we are to win, our forward line needs to click - as simple as that.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
It's on Saturday morning at 1am our time I think. I'm considering getting up, but I'll probably just watch the replay at 8:30 instead. I value my sleep.

To be honest I think whoever wins could just be which team gives away the least PCs. With Shaw and Abbas around you can't afford to concede many PCs in a tight game. We scored 2 out of 3 today, while defensively we saved 2 out of 2, so hopefully we can keep that good record going.