• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hobbs or Hutton?

Who's the greater opener?

• Total voters

Johan

U19 12th Man
Don't understand why People are Discussing Gavaskar in a Hutton vs Hobbs thread , as Sunil Gavaskar is pretty clearly inferior to either Hobbs or Hutton , but between Hutton and Hobbs , I feel like Hutton faced superior bowling ( only 2 players from 1910 to 1930s have more then 100 wickets , both English ) while Hutton faced Miller/Davidson/Lindwall/Benaud/Tayfield/Fazal/Gupte e.t.c. , there avarages are almost equal but hutton was more likely to have reached the 10,000 run barrier if not for world war II. I feel like Hutton is the Greatest Test opener of all time , Hobbs the most revolutionary batsmen in post WG Grace era. as a pure batsmen , Hutton makes my team more times but if its a bad tricky pitch or a wet one , Hobbs is the one I'll go with , its close but Hutton 6/10.

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Don't understand why People are Discussing Gavaskar in a Hutton vs Hobbs thread , as Gavaskar is pretty clearly inferior to either Hobbs or Hutton , but between Hutton and Hobbs , I feel like Hutton faced superior bowling ( only 2 players from 1910 to 1930s have more then 100 wickets , both English ) while Hutton faced Miller/Davidson/Lindwall/Benaud/Tayfield/Fazal/Gupte e.t.c. , there avarages are almost equal but hutton was more likely to have reached the 10,000 run barrier if not for world war II. I feel like Hutton is the Greatest Test opener of all time , Hobbs the most revolutionary batsmen in post WG Grace era. as a pure batsmen , Hutton makes my team more times but if its a bad tricky pitch or a wet one , Hobbs is the one I'll go with , its close but Hutton 6/10.
You are mistaken... Its Sunil Gavaskar.. Not Rohan.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
@Johan Thanks for putting the thread back on topic. It's frustrating when someone continually takes the thread off topic by airing their views on another player. I made the mistake of engaging them in a debate of sorts but now realise it is best to ignore them.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
@Johan Thanks for putting the thread back on topic. It's frustrating when someone continually takes the thread off topic by airing their views on another player. I made the mistake of engaging them in a debate of sorts but now realise it is best to ignore them.
With due respect, you would have realized Danza Hyatt is in the thread as well. Yet made no attempt to acknowledge this great player.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Danza Hyatt would have to pass the yo-yo test first.

He's a heavy boy.

I was expecting Tamar Lambert to make his Test debut before Danza.