• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Herbert Sutcliffe vs Virender Sehwag

Herbert Sutcliffe vs Virender Sehwag

• Total voters

a massive zebra

International Captain
The only thing these guys have in common is they were both top class opening batsmen. Otherwise their styles couldn't be more different. But who was better?

shortpitched713

International Captain
I have Sutcliffe and Hutton as the top openers of all time, over Gavaskar and Hobbs IF we can compare all eras, which I'm not sure we can.

Sehwag is outside ATG status, but the second best of his time. So anyway, Sutcliffe easily.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Interesting to see Sutcliffe winning this easily. Sure, he has a better record but the standard of fast bowling in Test cricket during his era wasn't as high as in most other eras. I suppose you could say Sehwag also played in a relatively high scoring era after several ATG bowlers retired, but there were still a few top class fast bowlers in his era. Sehwag also played some of the most destructive innings in the history of Test cricket, almost making 300 runs in a day, whilst Sutcliffe never even made a double century. But Sutcliffe was far more reliable and less conditions dependent, averaging over 60 for his entire career and playing some of the best ever wet wicket innings, such as during his legendary partnership with Jack Hobbs at the Oval in 1926. So that's a long way of saying you could argue either way. I'll go for Sutcliffe because he would have been more successful under any conditions than Sehwag would in somewhere like England.

BazBall21

International Regular
You'd do well to find one Sehwag hundred outside Asia (as an opener) that came in tough conditions or against a good attack. I'd have Saeed Anwar over him.

ma1978

International 12th Man
You'd do well to find one Sehwag hundred outside Asia (as an opener) that came in tough conditions or against a good attack. I'd have Saeed Anwar over him.
cricket is played in Asia as well and that matters, and Sehwag could arguably have been the greatest batsman ever in Asia

there was the hundred on debut In SA and the 195 in Melbourne and the 155 as well

that said, Sutcliffe has the case tobe the second greatest opener of all time

BazBall21

International Regular
cricket is played in Asia as well and that matters, and Sehwag could arguably have been the greatest batsman ever in Asia

there was the hundred on debut In SA and the 195 in Melbourne and the 155 as well

that said, Sutcliffe has the case tobe the second greatest opener of all time
Of course it matters. I'm saying cricket outside Asia also matters.

BazBall21

International Regular
Sehwag also has a better record outside of Asia than Anwar
Anwar has a hundred in Brisbane against McGrath. Sehwag's hundreds in Australia were good but he faced weaker attacks there. I know that touring England and NZ in the 90s wasn't exactly difficult but I would say Anwar was a better player of lateral movement on merit.