• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help with throwing while bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpearD

Cricket Spectator
Hey all,

I’ve had a problem with chucking sometimes when I put a bit extra effort in or get tired at the end of spells. Normal balls are ok but it holds me back from getting more pace to my bowling.
I’ve seen a lot of forum chats that say to go to the club coach but unfortunately the club I play for is small and doesn’t have a dedicated coach to help out.
Teammates say it’s not bad and only occasional but feel it’s holding me back.
Any help or common causes to work on are appreciated!

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't help really, I had this issue at times (embarrassingly). My only suggestion is that you might want to start with your arm fully straightened in your gather (above your head, or even earlier) and have a sort of windmilling action. For me it happened when I was tucking my elbow towards the hip in my downswing, with my arm only straightening well into the upswing.

If it happens when you're trying for extra pace then you may have to accept that is your ceiling. Getting fitter and running in faster may help, as may having a longer (not higher) jump into delivery, but I'm honestly not sure. A lot of club cricketers nearly stop on the crease and go through their action while nearly stationary. Make sure you're getting into it early enough that you're not losing momentum until your front foot lands.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't chuck, but I usually need time to warm up, so I'll chuck until the limbs are loose by which time I'm tired and I resort to chucking anyways.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
For the avoidance of doubt, let's not respond to threads from new members seeking help in C&E with Kyle Mills / Murali jokes.

Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot to contribute on the actual topic.

Naheed

School Boy/Girl Captain
Chucking while bowling is not only a technical error but also an illegal action. It usually happens with young players. A good coach always knows that young players have this issue, most probably. So they can help their students figure out such problems. But in your case, you should not stop looking for a better coach, till then you can also practice the following actions to make improvements by yourself;

• Strip down the overall concept of bowling into small segments. Do not try to be an expert at the first attempt. Bowl from a standing position while starting at the point of back foot impact.
  • Build up the right feel and stamina from the standing position.
  • Arrive at the standing position while running, straighten your arm but as soon as you feel the release, set yourself in the right position and release the ball.

Last edited:

janeandr

Cricket Spectator
Hey all,

I’ve had a problem with chucking sometimes when I put a bit extra effort in or get tired at the end of spells. Normal balls are ok but it holds me back from getting more pace to my bowling.
I’ve seen a lot of forum chats that say to go to the club coach but unfortunately the club I play for is small and doesn’t have a dedicated coach to help out.
Teammates say it’s not bad and only occasional but feel it’s holding me back.
Any help or common causes to work on are appreciated!
it’s hard to come up with any kind of advice without watching it live
could you add a video of your technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.