• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hawkeye founder on 'umpires call' debate

Howe_zat

Audio File
The idea the umpire's call region was ever anything to do with the accuracy of Hawkeye has only ever been a myth. And quite an obvious one if you think for a moment about how Hawkeye could possibly work. Some of us have been calling it out for near a decade (which I'll provide a link to as quoting in this thread seems a dangerous affair). I doubt this interview will have much impact, though I'd like it to.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The idea the umpire's call region was ever anything to do with the accuracy of Hawkeye has only ever been a myth. And quite an obvious one if you think for a moment about how Hawkeye could possibly work. Some of us have been calling it out for near a decade (which I'll provide a link to as quoting in this thread seems a dangerous affair). I doubt this interview will have much impact, though I'd like it to.
Yep, spot on with that linked post.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder if this was the guy getting midget's to do differential equations on epstein's island and not big man stevo.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, am I confused here or is his reply at the end a bit weird? The technology being more accurate than the margin in umpire's call doesn't mean that umpire's call can't help account for that, even if it's not the primary purpose.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Suck it @OverratedSanity . Never understood why people still try to argue that the margin for error with hawkeye (even with human manual intervention for certain aspects) is worse than half blind umpires judging in real time. It’s a ridiculous stance and you should feel dumb if you are in that camp.

It’s not perfect but it’s far superior. Relying on a worse method for close decisions makes zero sense.
I don't think they quite say that, but they are complicit in the ridiculousness by saying human judgement should have any part in the system.

A great day for justice, this, incidentally. Now no more can anyone repeat the BS dogma about margins for error etc, and any other BS related to a system that should be solely based on the technology and nothing to do with the on-field call. Doubt anything will change, however.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, am I confused here or is his reply at the end a bit weird? The technology being more accurate than the margin in umpire's call doesn't mean that umpire's call can't help account for that, even if it's not the primary purpose.
What is the primary purpose, other to undermine a superior decision making process?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think they quite say that, but they are complicit in the ridiculousness by saying human judgement should have any part in the system.

A great day for justice, this, incidentally. Now no more can anyone repeat the BS dogma about margins for error etc, and any other BS related to a system that should be solely based on the technology and nothing to do with the on-field call. Doubt anything will change, however.
Oh my sweet summer child.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess to the powers that be, this is akin to using the "soft signal" when referring catches etc and quite honestly keeping some power or relevancy in the hands of the umpires.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
Because in tennis, it is about what happened, not some predictive path.
Well it also depends on ball tracking, besides how are they calculating the impact on ground? Are there actual sensors on/near the lines or what? If not there's still a massive element of prediction going on - fells like half the forum doesn't even understand how this tech works :no2:

Sane goes for cricket but there's multiple impacts & impact points we have to consider especially wrt lbw.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Well it also depends on ball tracking, besides how are they calculating the impact on ground? Are there actual sensors on/near the lines or what? If not there's still a massive element of prediction going on - fells like half the forum doesn't even understand how this tech works :no2:

Sane goes for cricket but there's multiple impacts & impact points we have to consider especially wrt lbw.
I don't think you understand how this tech works if you think that this is a remotely difficult problem with the camera technology we've had for years now.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
I don't think you understand how this tech works if you think that this is a remotely difficult problem with the camera technology we've had for years now.
Maybe I don't, because I haven't actually seen/read on any sources of their data collection, but you do understand that without actual sensors on the ground you're guesstimating where the ball has bounced, don't you? Secondly with tennis at least at the initial impact the surface area of contact would be smaller, then just before the ball bounces, the area expands. It isn't rocket science - heck the projection part, for hawk eye based lbws, is decades old established science. Ever heard of guided missiles?

Spark

Global Moderator
Maybe I don't, because I haven't actually seen/read on any sources of their data collection, but you do understand that without actual sensors on the ground you're guesstimating where the ball has bounced, don't you? Secondly with tennis at least at the initial impact the surface area of contact would be smaller, then just before the ball bounces, the area expands. It isn't rocket science - heck the projection part, for hawk eye based lbws, is decades old established science. Ever heard of guided missiles?
I could give the data generated by the Hawkeye cameras - the location of the ball frame-by-frame, one every hundredth of a second or so or whatever they use - and give it to a 1st year physics student and I would be disappointed if they did not get the correct answer to within 5cm. It's not at all a difficult problem, the difficulty lies in automating the process and making it fast.