• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla vs AB Devilliers

The Better Bat

• Amla

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • ABD

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Comparable players. Amla has more tons and was a great player of spin. ABD has a better overall record, was more consistent but was a bit of a downhill skier.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not even close. TOTAB was one of the best to ever play the game. Amla one of Saffas best though

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Amla has a better beard. At least we can all agree both were better bats than Kallis.

Xuhaib

International Coach
ABD over the complete career though Amla had this ridiculous 5-6 year run where he was arguably the best batsman in the world at a time where there many great players floating around.

subshakerz

International Coach
ABD over the complete career though Amla had this ridiculous 5-6 year run where he was arguably the best batsman in the world at a time where there many great players floating around.
The thing is that Amla's peak from 2008 to 2014 coincided with ABD's peaking at the same time, and I think Amla was clearly the better batsman of the two during that time. But Amla's peak ended while ABD's good form continued until his retirement. Which is what makes this comparison interesting.

So far posters seem to think one is clearly better than the other, but are divided who that is.

subshakerz

International Coach
De Villiers's average benefits greatly from him deserting his team in tests when he hit a bad patch of form. Loses points for being a ***** imo. Amla batted #3 too so automatically more alpha.
ABD having to bat after Smith, Amla and Kallis in the lineup was a ridiculous cushion.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought he actually deserted them when in prime form. (Which is possibly even more annoying.)
In 2016 he took a hiatus from tests after averaging 24 in a series against England. He returned a year later and immediately ****blocked India and then played his best knock against Australia. He certainly had way more in the tank and retired abruptly in 2018 after attempting to pick and choose his tours which CSA rightly denied. In a way he did both.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

thierry henry

International Coach
This is purely a comment on a weird blind spot I have rather than an actual comment on this debate - but during their respective careers there was a chunk of time where I perceived Amla as an elite batsman, whereas I never really thought about ABDV. Like in terms of elite South African batting there was basically Kallis from the early 2000s, then it was Kallis and Smith, and then Kallis (waning), Smith and Amla as the leading batters.

ABDV's whole career is pretty much a big blind spot for me for some reason. Perhaps because of batting too low down the order + downhill skiing....

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
This is a tough one. De Villiers was probably the better batsman, but Amla had the harder job and had more impact.