• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harold Larwood vs Brian Statham?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
stratham

larwood a case of burning bright but for a very short time. also another case of an english player being shoddily treated by his board.

don't think either of them make an all time england xi tbh. trueman is by a distance the stand out english quick bowler in history. barnes second and then i'd take anderson, snow and willis over both.

stratham

larwood a case of burning bright but for a very short time. also another case of an english player being shoddily treated by his board.

don't think either of them make an all time england xi tbh. trueman is by a distance the stand out english quick bowler in history. barnes second and then i'd take anderson, snow and willis over both.
Barnes>Trueman as a bowler.Almost a league above tbh.

BazBall21

International Regular
stratham

Yeah. Statham probably had the better career, but I reckon Snow was better. What he did in Australia and WI was special.

Johan

U19 12th Man
hmmmm how good were the SA side of Barnes's time? his stats against them are massively better then his against Aus , 20 matches against australia with 106 wickets at 21.58 average and 54 strike rate but 7 matches against south africa with 83 wickets and 12 five fers and 6 ten fers with average of 9.86 and strike of 25.56.

hmmmm how good were the SA side of Barnes's time? his stats against them are massively better then his against Aus , 20 matches against australia with 106 wickets at 21.58 average and 54 strike rate but 7 matches against south africa with 83 wickets and 12 five fers and 6 ten fers with average of 9.86 and strike of 25.56.
SA were good enough to win 2 series against England.And Good enough to win a match against Australia in Australia.
106 Wkts in 20 matches,5.3 Wkts a match at an bowling average of 21.58 is a feat any bowler in history would be proud of.And Barnes did it from age of 34-40.People said he got better with age but fact remains he was picked for only 2 test when he was 28 and took 19 wickets.Wasn’t picked in between for being SOB.