• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hadlee vs Kallis

Hadlee vs Kallis in Tests.

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
A lot of emphasis being placed on importance to the team. That has nothing to do with the player and everything to do with what kind of **** their team can be.
Hadlee could not always contribute to his team in batting, whereas Kallis always contributed to keeping his teams bowlers fresh, while snagging a couple of wickets himself.
Most importantly, Kallis was not a wanker.
Kallis got smacked quite a few times too. Most of the time, a team can get by with four bowlers and a part-time fifth bowler. Kallis is better than most fifth bowlers but let's not overrate the stock bowler slot.

The greatest seam bowler ever plus a 7/8 bat vs. a great batsman who is a regular fifth bowler.

Xix2565

International Regular
Given how important bowling is vs batting in Tests, and how skilled both were in their main disciplines, I'd have to go with Hadlee here. His lower order batting/hitting is a bonus, as a bowler vs batting all rounder in this scenario I'm picking the bowler all the way.

Chrish

International Debutant
You are really going to put Kallis in your side over arguably the greatest seam bowler ever because Kallis can bowl some stock overs well? That is the deciding factor?

I don't mind benching Kallis the slow bat and dibbly dobbly bowler every game while Hadlee cleans up shop.
It depends.

If I am choosing all time Xi, neither would make it as I have other players of my liking. If I am choosing them for current Indian team, I would pick Kallis to improve current batting. If I am choosing for 2000s Indian team, I would pick someone like Hadlee to strengthen bowling.

Here is an example of Kallis scoring 95 with SR of 27. Team won both game and a series in india which was considered “final frontier” by even great Aussie team..

Victor Ian

International Coach
People overrate hadlee's batting. If Kallis got smashed in bowling at times, so too did hadlee fail as a bat at times.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Number 7 is one spot too high for someone who averages 27 over his career. He will make a perfect No 8.

subshakerz

International Coach
It depends.

If I am choosing all time Xi, neither would make it as I have other players of my liking. If I am choosing them for current Indian team, I would pick Kallis to improve current batting. If I am choosing for 2000s Indian team, I would pick someone like Hadlee to strengthen bowling.

Here is an example of Kallis scoring 95 with SR of 27. Team won both game and a series in india which was considered “final frontier” by even great Aussie team..
I would wager Hadlee would be more valuable even in the current Indian team.

But as cricketers, Hadlee easily overtakes Kallis.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
People overrate hadlee's batting. If Kallis got smashed in bowling at times, so too did hadlee fail as a bat at times.
Against the 2 best bowling attacks of his era:
Hadlee averaged 32.41 with the bat vs WI
Hadlee averaged 37.26 with the bat vs Pak

Against the 2 best batting lineups of his era:
Kallis averaged 37.56 with the ball vs Aus
Kallis averaged 41.31 with the ball vs Ind

Coronis

International Coach
Point being, I think all posters are treating Hadlee's batting more as a bonus than game changer
Its really not, I mean, I think someone mentioned Ashwin earlier in the thread, he really is a perfect comparison, would you call his batting a game changer? Or even blokes like Healy and Marsh?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Hadlee's bowling>Kallis batting to the extent that cannot be compensated by their weaker suit. But Kallis being such a great cricketer did not deserve to lose by such a large margin and hence, got my vote.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Like couple of posters have pointed out earlier, this is not a great comparison. Kallis should be compared with a proper all-rounder.

Hadlee is a pace bowling great and arguably among the top 5 pacers in the history of the game. But his batting is just a bonus for the team.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Like couple of posters have pointed out earlier, this is not a great comparison. Kallis should be compared with a proper all-rounder.

Hadlee is a pace bowling great and arguably among the top 5 pacers in the history of the game. But his batting is just a bonus for the team.
Still think he qualifies as an all rounder, despite his relatively poor consistency with the bat.