• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP C - New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Kenya

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Those runs mean nothing when it comes to Bond and co...he is an easy wicket when it comes to decent bowling attacks and it would be , IMO, a waste to pick the guy just because he carted an already softened poor quality attack for a few more runs after they had been softened up by those before him...
The fact he's in form has something to do with it, obviously. Lokuarachchi may well be the better Twenty20 player (I agree with you in this regard), but he hasn't been in any sort of form, whereas Mubarak is.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka are by far the 'worst' team when it comes to minnow-bashing, not that it's a bad thing. They've set the ODI and Twenty20 records for the highest score against two minnow nations in the Netherlands and Kenya, and some of their players also put in massive performances against these weak teams.

We're talking about limited overs cricket here, obviously, so why bring up Hayden's 380 or Gillespie's 201*? Almost all of the Sri Lankan players have put in big performances against minnow teams, Tillekeratne Dilshan being one of the most notable ones, scoring his only century against the Netherlands.
The Aussies are just as big minnow bashers...as they did at the World Cup...go see for yourself...

Perm

Thats hardly a world quality bowling attack.....and pretty much a very below average bowling side...so that doesn't add strength to your argument...
It does when you compare it to the attack that Kenya had yesterday and the one that the Netherlands fielded when Sri Lanka piled up over 400. Also, is there any point bringing up individual performers against these minnow nations, especially in Test cricket, because we know much how a certain Muttiah Muralitharan has benefited from easy wickets against Bangladesh. The same applies to Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara scoring easy runs.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact he's in form has something to do with it, obviously. Lokuarachchi may well be the better Twenty20 player (I agree with you in this regard), but he hasn't been in any sort of form, whereas Mubarak is.
Lokuaraachchi has always been among the runs whenever he has been in the side...Definitely not as inconsistent as Mubarak...Mubarak scores once in 10-12 innings...or even less :laugh:

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
I know 46 off 13 is awesome but at the back of my mind i cant help feeling this guy cannot handle the heat of Bond and co. So i would pick another bowler either Maharoof or Lokurachi, but i think Mubarak will stay in for once i cant really have a go at the selectors for that.

Jason lets hope u havent put the kiss of death by picking SL.:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
It does when you compare it to the attack that Kenya had yesterday and the one that the Netherlands fielded when Sri Lanka piled up over 400. Also, is there any point bringing up individual performers against these minnow nations, especially in Test cricket, because we know much how a certain Muttiah Muralitharan has benefited from easy wickets against Bangladesh. The same applies to Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara scoring easy runs.
You want to turn this into Murali Warne - go for it - but thats been discussed to death and we all know who has more tailenders piled in their stats in their wicket tally so lets not go there ...or feel free to ...its your choice.

Lets see what happens tonight ....

BTW when do you head to Australia ? :laugh:

Perm

The Aussies are just as big minnow bashers...as they did at the World Cup...go see for yourself...
So you've gone from saying Australia are much worse at minnow-bashing than Sri Lanka, to now saying they are just as bad. Bit of a backwards step there Jason. Australia did indeed thrash minnows like Scotland, Ireland and the Netherlands in the World Cup, but by no more than Sri Lanka did. Sri Lanka have just had more performances whereby they win heavily against minnows.

Perm

Lokuaraachchi has always been among the runs whenever he has been in the side...Definitely not as inconsistent as Mubarak...Mubarak scores once in 10-12 innings...or even less :laugh:
Form is form. That's what we are talking about here. It would be a very tough call to drop a guy on the back of scoring 46* from 13.

Perm

You want to turn this into Murali Warne - go for it - but thats been discussed to death and we all know who has more tailenders piled in their stats so lets not go there ...or feel free to ...its your choice.

Lets see what happens tonight ....

BTW when do you head to Australia ? :laugh:
I don't want to turn this into a Murali vs Warne debate, far from it, especially given how you go about arguing that particular subject. We are talking about minnow nations, not tailenders JASON, I'm sure you can see that. Muralitharan is just one example, I gave two more. Sangakkara and Jayawardene both score very heavily against minnow nations, as has Michael Vandort in Test cricket.

The result of the New Zealand-Sri Lanka game doesn't come into this at all, so I'm not sure why you'd bring that up. Again, I'm not moving to Australia anytime soon, but you were the one who seemed determined to discuss Australia's performances against minnow nations .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
So you've gone from saying Australia are much worse at minnow-bashing than Sri Lanka, to now saying they are just as bad. Bit of a backwards step there Jason. Australia did indeed thrash minnows like Scotland, Ireland and the Netherlands in the World Cup, but by no more than Sri Lanka did. Sri Lanka have just had more performances whereby they win heavily against minnows.
Are you defending Australia minnow bashing ?

You still haven't said when you are headed ?:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Form is form. That's what we are talking about here. It would be a very tough call to drop a guy on the back of scoring 46* from 13.
Are you saying that from a NZ view point or Australian view point....that will make it easier to understand your reasoning better ...:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The result of the New Zealand-Sri Lanka game doesn't come into this at all, so I'm not sure why you'd bring that up.
I don't want you to come crying here tomorrow saying we've bashed you guys as well...:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
And for the record...

NZ bowling Kenya out for 71 and then winning by 9 wickets in a few overs...is not Minnow Bashing at all.... ok ...:laugh:

Perm

Are you defending Australia minnow bashing ?

You still haven't said when you are headed ?:)
I'm not defending it, I'm just saying that Sri Lanka can be considered as a team of minnow-bashers more than Australia. I don't plan to live in Australia, but I, unlike you, aren't biased against them.

Perm

I don't want you to come crying here tomorrow saying we've bashed you guys as well...:laugh:
We aren't a minnow nation. Besides, I'm not too fussed about who wins tonight, full credit to the Sri Lankans if they do manage to pull off a win.

Perm

And for the record...

NZ bowling Kenya out for 71 and then winning by 9 wickets in a few overs...is not Minnow Bashing at all.... ok ...:laugh:
Yes, that is minnow-bashing. However, not to the extent that Sri Lanka regularly perform against minnow nations.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Yes, that is minnow-bashing. However, not to the extent that Sri Lanka regularly perform against minnow nations.
Nz dont play a hell of a lot of cricket comapartivly speaking so havent had the chances to, I consider NZ to be a minnow because they play so little. but thats just me. Because people like Murray Deaker drive me around the bend in regards to cricket.

Perm

Nz dont play a hell of a lot of cricket comapartivly speaking so havent had the chances to, I consider NZ to be a minnow because they play so little. but thats just me. Because people like Murray Deaker drive me around the bend in regards to cricket.
:huh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Cricinfo is so dire sometimes, "New Zealand bat in dead rubber" a great way to think of a match between two professional teams.